• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-1078 Windshield Wiper Motor and Linkage Replacement and Repair

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never been faced with repairs to the wiper system but now I am and I looked to how to even approach this.
The passenger side wiper is not working and has free movement. The Driver and Middle Wiper work in unison. I looked in the defrost area hoping that the linkage was there and no. So then I realized that it is all up under the dash. I believe there is one motor and I thought that it was located on the passenger side.
Before I start attempting to gain access I thought it best to hear from y'all because maybe there might be shortcuts and access that I don't see. Right now I am expecting horror stories.
Thanks again guys.

Ronmar

its not really under the dash, it runs thru the middle of the dash. the motor is under the relay/fuse power panel. remove the PDP cover, and there are screws up under the top lip of the opening, and on the face of the dash toward your knees while seated. remove those and the power panel should be able to be lifted out and rolled toward the rear(into your lap). this will expose the wiper motor...

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah pull out the PDP. Fortunately the passenger side should be accessible there. And the linkage to the motor is easily accessed from there if you need to time the motor to the linkage - it's a splined taper. But first make sure your passenger wiper issue isn't just a loose or stripped wiper arm on the outside of the truck.

My wipers went out of time with the motor (all three parking in the middle of the glass) - was a 15 minute repair. The nut holding the linkage to the motor had loosened and the arm on the motor drive shaft spun. Very easy fix. Loosen nut, move wipers to park position, tighten nut.

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
its not really under the dash, it runs thru the middle of the dash. the motor is under the relay/fuse power panel. remove the PDP cover, and there are screws up under the top lip of the opening, and on the face of the dash toward your knees while seated. remove those and the power panel should be able to be lifted out and rolled toward the rear(into your lap). this will expose the wiper motor...
And the linkages for the Wiper arms? are they easily accessible or ....what? Are parts readily available? And if you have to service the arm and linkages behind the windshield, does it come out the front by removing the area?
Thanks again

Last edited:

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Skyhawk13205

And the linkages for the Wiper arms? are they easily accessible or ....what? Are parts readily available? And if you have to service the arm and linkages behind the windshield, does it come out the front by removing the area?
Thanks again
I had to replace my whole linkage because of a broken spline, it involved me taking the PDP, dash and heater out to replace it.53F48416-1B09-4909-A0D7-73981A743D23.jpeg59FA6F35-A151-4C31-9FE4-CDD4B61B81FB.jpeg

Skyhawk13205

What's all that white stuff?😂
It is a dangerous substance, it keeps people away, the more present and duration the smaller the surrounding population.

It is harmfull, long term exposure will cause severe burn like rashes, brushing and blackening of extremities. Neurological effects of numbing limbs, reduced cognitive function, and desire to continue to live around said dangerous substance.

MatthewWBailey

Father, Husband and Barn Hermit
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a dangerous substance, it keeps people away, the more present and duration the smaller the surrounding population.

It is harmfull, long term exposure will cause severe burn like rashes, brushing and blackening of extremities. Neurological effects of numbing limbs, reduced cognitive function, and desire to continue to live around said dangerous substance.
Dang I've been rolling around in it! No wonder im so messed up.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks again
All the stuff involved in the wiper system is German. Because the cab is a Steyr design. Parts for them are either surplus new or used or in Europe generally.

That said - the system is pretty well made and heavy duty. Don't try to run it if the truck is frozen - probably the quickest way to damage stuff. The wiper arms are a soft metal where they engage the drive splines so things need to be tight and lubricated with as little load on all the components as can be achieved to not stress all the linkage and motor, etc.

Passenger wiper linkage and motor are under the PDP. Other parts of the system run entirely behind the dash so complete removal of the gauges panel, PDP, and worst of all the HVAC box is required to gain access.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks