• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-146 recovery

greenmonster

I recently got my m931a2 and when I bid on it I also bid on a M-146 trailer. I won the bid and and got my EUC approved and we were off. Back to Vegas Baby!!!! We had 900 miles each way I loaded up the ol' wagon queen family truckster with the metallic pea paint and optional fun pack, and off we went. The cummins ran like a champ the whole way. About an hour outside of Nehpi I had a blow out a couple ours of screwing around on the side of the road and it was changed out. We stayed at the Stratosphere because it was close to the freeway and had a huge over-sized parking area. When we picked up the truck we stayed at the mirage and it was a less than easy park there so we opted for the stratosphere this time. We spent thanksgiving in Vegas ate our turkey at the buffet and saw the sights. I won 700 bucks on a penny slot then off we headed home. Swung by quality towing picked up the trailer and headed home 900miles with no spare. We hit snow about an hour from home and six inches of snow 20miles out of Cody. All in all a good trip. Now all I need is another excuse to head back to sin city!

Attachments

Last edited:

jdknech

did you have any trouble with the landing legs hitting the tires? ive heard this is a problem with the 14.00-20 tires... also, did it take much of the bounce out of the ride with the trailer?

greenmonster

Very nice rig!! That has got to be my favorite trailer! What are your plans for it?
I was going to do a build like yours but it is a bit short inside for me, so I don't know what will happen with it, as for landing gear yes it hits I planned on pulling feet when I picked it up but the pins were frozen in so I just made no sharp turns, I am sure people thought I had no clue how to drive because I kept driving like I was pulling a fifty foot trailer. it smoothed out the ride quite a bit and it really didn't effect power my mileage went from 12 on the way down to 7 mpg on the way back.

Attachments

harleyhouse

Cool trip with the family! Love the earplugs your kid is wearing.
Did anyone stop to help with the flat tire?

Matching wheels and tires for the trailer in the future?

greenmonster

No, no one stopped to help with the tire change, it was a pain to do, the biggest problem was getting the spare back on the truck. I got a hand winch to mount on the boom to help in this but I did not have time to mount it like I wanted before we left so I just had to pick it up to put it on that....that was all kinds of fun. I would like to put the 14.00 r20 super singles on the back but I have not looked into rims yet if anyone has some suggestions I am looking for idea's. Thanks

Oh, and ear plugs are required it even says so on the dash!! LOL

RAYZER

If you put a taller tire on the trailer, it would pull the landing gear away from the tractor tires and might solve your clearance problem.
If you had an adapter from 6 lug to 10 lug on the trailer , it would solve your spare tire for the trailer dilemma.

How does one pick up a super single wheel and put it in the spare tire rack by himself ???

greenmonster

If you put a taller tire on the trailer, it would pull the landing gear away from the tractor tires and might solve your clearance problem.
If you had an adapter from 6 lug to 10 lug on the trailer , it would solve your spare tire for the trailer dilemma.

How does one pick up a super single wheel and put it in the spare tire rack by himself ???
What I did was took the ramp that holds the spare tire in place and leaned it up against the fuel tank so it made a little ramp. I then got under it and lifted and rolled and cussed...then cussed some more. I was one hurnia away from leaving it on the side of the road and when I came back by getting a come along in Vegas and getting it on that way. But I got it, I won't do it again but where there is a will there is a way. PLus my wife was not impressed with the speed in my tire change. We were 200 miles from Vegas and we had gotten up really early so we could eat at the hash house ago go for breakfast and every minute I screwed around with the tire change the less likely we would make that. We did not get to eat there first day but she was a lot happier when we checked into the room grabbed a cocktail and soaked our sore butts in the hot tub and watched people cable jump off the Stratosphere.

Is there an adapted for a six to ten wheel then? If so where can I get them?

RAYZER

I think there are some adapters in the classifieds.

Not impressing your wife = less green stuff.

Impressing your wife = more green stuff !!

greenmonster

I have been looking in the classifieds and find nothing. You would not happen to have a link for them would you? As for more green stuff she doesn't really care what I get but I am positive I will not get her to ride in one to Vegas again.

greenmonster

Thanks, for the link, I am not planning on using MRAP wheels, I would rather just leave it alone verses spending a bunch of money for it to have different wheels anyway if that makes sense.