• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-275 top end

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I've made two recovery trips in the deuce tractor and it seems like it has more top end than a regular deuce.
At 2400 RPM I am running (according to the speedo) over 60 MPH......since the engine is turned up to 2800 it would seem that my top speed would be close to 70.
Any ideas or comments?
I can't wait to get a set of 1100x20's on it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Wrecker, are you passing cars left and right, keeping up with traffic, or still getting passed? I say this cause some of the gears are different. Stretch had one that said he was doing machII when in fact he was traveling at 50. I swapped with him and it reads just shy of actual speed with 395s on.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The tan deuce we have that I pulled your truck home with has a speedo that reads waaaaaaaaay high. it has to be bad or something, at 2500 rpm's with 11:00 tires it says you are doing over 65 mph.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Wrecker, are you passing cars left and right, keeping up with traffic, or still getting passed?
I seem to be keeping up with the flow on two lanes......on the four lane I still get passed but that is because most of the people are in a bigger hurry than I am. I try to keep it around 60 to save fuel and wear and tear on the engine.

I guess I could check the tags on the diffs and see if they are the same as the regular deuces.

My thought was that since the tractors were made to pull trailers on the road they may have been a little longer legged.

I am thinking taller tires and a 200 HP multi-fuel would make this little tractor a hoss.

It will prob be at the GA rally under the expando trailer.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am running a 200 hp LDS in my 275 and with 36,000 of trailer behind, it is a hard pull. Turbo is spooled up all the time and diffs get good and hot. I run the truck at 2400 rpm and 55 mph. Without trailer, the truck will stay with a manual transmission Powerstroke up to 50 mph off the line.

I have decided to replace the trusty 275 with the 915A1 for safer OTR semi-trailer pulling duties.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Travis,

It's the same gear pattern as my other deuces......could the tranny itself have taller gears?

I'll crawl under it tomorrow and check the tag.

Thanks for the ideas.

NDT,

I will not be pulling heavy loads, just one of my vans to shows and rallys.

But I like the 915 idea myself......drove one from Fort Benning to NTC in California many years ago...that was a loooooong ride.

Lots of them coming thru GL now.....too bad most of them have the newer tranny and not the 15 speed CAT.

Those would run 85 if you turned them up.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks