• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m 332 brakes

iezer

Greetings,

I'm considering purchasing the m332 ammo trailer. My question is this. Do the hydraulic brakes have to be connected to pull the trailer home (not far about 45 miles). If they do have to be hooked up what actuator would I need to have in place for this trailer.

Thanks,
IeZeR

jasonjc

They have air over hyd breaks. You do not need them hooked up to move. The trailer is on the heavy side 2500-3000lbs iirc.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We towed a couple M332s back from Chambersburg recently, 100 miles one-way. Did not hook up the brakes. No problems at all with regards to stopping, the brakes on the deuces were more than adequate for the haul back. If the trailers were full to capacity, might require the brakes to be hooked up.

iezer

Thanks for the help.

another NooB question. What's the best way to get the brakes working now that I know I can get the trailer home. Convert to electric?? or what do I need to get the air brakes working properly???

jasonjc

You will nwwd to do some work and change it to electric breaks. The best thing for you is to get one of the 3/4ton trailers that were used with the hummers. It would be a better match to your truck.

iezer

I like the m332 due to the fact that the wheels are of set to the outside of the bed = more cargo space. I looked at the m101's & m101a2's but the wheels are set in and ate up space in the bed. Do you know how difficult it is to do the conversion to electric brakes? Something a good trailer shop can do or will it be allot of custom work?

Thanks,

acetomatoco

The ammo trailer empty is really heavy...when loaded it will be a handful up and downhill for the little 6.2 Diesel in the H1. your crummy mileage willl be much more crummy...and wet stopping will be a u tube event...

iezer

I'll keep the camera rolling. Actually I've got a 6.5 turbo diesel in the truck. It'll help some. Actually for being a big a$$ truck I get around 10-12 mpg. Compare that to the Escalades, Navigators and H2's of the world and it's not that bad.

jasonjc

The bed on an M332 is small. Even with the wheels outside the bed a m101 would have more room and they have the sides and tops the m332 does not.

iezer

boy I thought I had this all figured out. I should have asked you guys first...I'll keep you posted.