• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-35 Air Starter

deuceaid

Banned
How about a cartidge starter like the old radial engines. rofl
Yeah like the original flight of the phoenix!!! but I want all 4........ electric/air/caufman(cartrige) /and a hand crank inertia starter!!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHfnzUulrHs[/media]
or this, love that gee gee gee gee sound

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWiLjegw9iQ[/media]

deuceaid

Banned
I have wanted air start for some time but the idea of running out of air made me think of having an add on to the airtank, an inletpipe and check valve and something like a 22LR blank round, like a mini caufman cartrige in order to build up air pressure just in case the tanks leaked down.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have a pic somewhere of a steam powered ww2 deuce, It was designed for RUSSIA lend-lease, dont know if it was ever built

sewerzuk

I was digging through some videos and found this one; demonstrates an inertia starter on a cummins 6BT.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS4mqHmPB6g[/media]

212sparky

I worked at a few USPS vehicle maintenance facilites and their newer international box trucks had air start on them. They said it was more reliable. since they went from facility to facility they did not worry about not having air around.

deuceaid

Banned
I search other threads to try and find out if the starter itself is a standard SAE size ( I dont know if it applies to starters too). All I did find was that the MF bellhousing is either an SAE #3,,,, or a SAE #2 with a #3adapter ring.

Anyone have any ideas? I found these "spring" / "clockwork" / "mechanical" starters
Startwell Mechanical Starters - Diesel Engine starting - spring starter - back up starter- startwell - simms - manual starter - alternative to electric hydraulic and pneaumatic
Spring starters Simms, Lucas, CAV mechanical starter motors from Kineteco Home Page
IDP Mechanical Starters Engine Cranking Devices
New Spring Starter

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Air starters are popular in Australia. As an emergency reserve, some Aussie truckers carry connectors for their tires to power the air starter.

There's a lot of compressed air in Deuce tires.

I have a 1948 Caterpillar D4 crawler with a pony motor for starting; it's BEE-YOTCH to use. It has a rope pull starting function, just like a lawnmower, but with a LOT more compression...once the pony motor is running & warmed up, you engage the starting clutch slowly to kick over the 4-cylinder diesel engine. I HATE the pony motor; some day I'll dump it and convert over to 24V starting. If it had compressed air on board, I'd consider air starting instead.

135gmc

The last truck I saw with an air starter had a 60 gallon air tank and a 35 CFM air compressor. It was driven daily and very well maintained so there wasn't much trouble with low air pressure - it was parked next to the shop at night, and never shut down when it was on the road. They aren't too common anymore, except up in the far north ---Canada & Alaska

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Air starters are popular in Australia. As an emergency reserve, some Aussie truckers carry connectors for their tires to power the air starter.

There's a lot of compressed air in Deuce tires.

I have a 1948 Caterpillar D4 crawler with a pony motor for starting; it's BEE-YOTCH to use. It has a rope pull starting function, just like a lawnmower, but with a LOT more compression...once the pony motor is running & warmed up, you engage the starting clutch slowly to kick over the 4-cylinder diesel engine. I HATE the pony motor; some day I'll dump it and convert over to 24V starting. If it had compressed air on board, I'd consider air starting instead.
You can get a 6v or a 12v replacement/add on for the pony motor pull start, at one time only 6v but as years went by 12v came available, this kit had a generator that went on the main motor to charge the pony motor starting battery

saddamsnightmare

October 31st, 2011.

The man who wants an air starter on a deuce, is a man who never had an air starter fail on anything else..... As for the submarine guys up above, anyone notice any new diesel subs in the US Navy lately? An electric starter is always a better idea as to torque, and if you run out of juice on your deuce, just park on a hill, gravity will start it for you on demand.
(Unless its an M35A3?). Even our older locomotives used the generator as a starting motor, and considering on some of them it was a 2000 HP engine.... it worked almost every time, and when not, a DC welder would get you started ASAP.
With the Military, the ability to do simple maintenance and the ability to take a reasonable amount of damage and still execute the mission was and should always be the first consideration. Unfortunately our brass today comes up with systems that can't take an AK47 round to a lot of them and still function....:cookoo:
I'd rather have a deuce then an FMTV, as more deuces have limped home damaged with their crews then have the later replacements....:driver:

hilber

In the late 60's I worked for Akers Motor Lines in Albany GA. We had a butt load of those GMC Toro FLow diesels and and other diesels. They had air starters and they were a PITA. On a cold morning it would take forever to start one and then go around and hook up the glad hands to other trucks to get enough air. AFTER A FEW TURNS THEY WERE OUT OF AIR AND FUN WAS ON. I was amere 18 year old lad that was assistant terminal manager and I guess the powers at be never thoguth about usisng air form the compressor in the shop, they just pulled a runnign truck up and pumped them up. We also used those red balls of ether called goof balls and sometimes it would take more than one.

wdbtchr

I will admit up front I don't know what I'm talking about, but since the starter mounts on one side on the 5 tons and the other on the deuces it would seem to me you could rig up two starters. I don't know if the flywheels are different diameters, but I bet a bellhousing could be modded to work. I was thinking about this because my spare LDS 465-1a is set up for a deuce and the starter is on the other side from my trucks. I haven't looked closely at it or taken any measurments but I think I will now after reading this thread.:roll:

I kind of like the idea of putting a Kaufman starter on the 5 ton myself.

I going to duck and cover now, carry on:popcorn:

Last edited:

deuceaid

Banned
trying to find out if the mfe(multi fuel engine) has an sae # 3 or #2 bolt pattern,,, I would also like to thank sewersuk for his post about starting cummins engines..night..DA out

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks