• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-35 cab heater

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good afternoon Folks I am very new to your group but have already found some very good information concerning my Newely aquired 1971 AM General M-35 truck, seems to be a very good yet interesting beast so far. I live in ND and today is our first real snow of the year, needless to say this truck is in dire need of a heater for in the cab. I know that when the truck was ordered it was done without any in cab heat, well NOW I need that badly. Do you know a good source where I can purchase a GOOD/COMPLETE hot water heater for this truck, I found a guy that is supposed to be getting brand new kits in but he wants 650.00 for them I would liek a good complete used take off, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Karl

jdr2710

Being in the frozen north, you might want to consider a diesel fired heater versus the hot water heater. From what I've read here (being a noob myself) they crank out a Lot more heat, and it is instant, no need to wait for the engine to warm up. I picked one up used on eBay a few weeks ago for just over $100 shipped. I haven't finished installing it yet, so I don't know if it actually works... When I was looking for mine I saw several for sale. If you want to stick with the hot water version and you're not looking for 100% accurate restoration you can find other sources for heater cores, just have to get the 24 volt fan. The only tricky bit would be the box inside the cab that switches between defrost and heat.

Good luck,
Jeff

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jeff Thanks you for the information, do you have any more information on the heater unit you put in your truck as in what brand and model? And does it have its own fuel tank on it or do you plumb it into the fuel system on the truck? Is the heater vented to the outside of the cab or is it just going to have an diesel ordor in the cab? This is a very possible alternative for me Jeff, I appreciate your suggestion very much and if you can get the other info for me that would be great also.
Thank you again
Karl

jdr2710

The heater is fed off of the main tank. I chose to run its own pump to avoid the possibility of introducing new sources of air leaks into the injection pump's fuel path, but I have read other people's installs that used the main fuel supply line.

The diesel exhaust is vented separately from the heated air, so the air blown into the cab is not polluted with the diesel exhaust.

The heater I got is a Benmar, but there are other manufacturers. I have seen a few posts here from Cranetruck where he's worked on a couple of the brands and learned quite a bit about them. If you try a search for diesel heater here on Steel Soldiers you'll find loads of information.

Jeff

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CUCVFAN, don't you have a heater for sale? I don't want to speak for you...but I thought you had one for sale the last time I was at your place. Perhaps, you sold it.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, I sold my last spare recently. :(

NOS fuel heater kits can be had for about $500-$700, which includes EVERYTHING needed to install (heater, ducts, diverter, controls, wiring, all hardware, etc), including bluepriint drawings and detailed instructions.

cbvet

Karl,
My first Deuce came from Roseau Minnesota, way up north.
It has the hot water heater mounted under the dash, recirculating the cab air for max heat. Also has the essential front winter radiator/grill cover.
No problems at -10 once it's warmed up.

GoHot229

Ok ...I'll play the Blond card.... how did you list on ebay in your search ? I never seem to come up with the parts area for MV's. In other words, what words did you type in the search box?
Being in the frozen north, you might want to consider a diesel fired heater versus the hot water heater. From what I've read here (being a noob myself) they crank out a Lot more heat, and it is instant, no need to wait for the engine to warm up. I picked one up used on eBay a few weeks ago for just over $100 shipped. I haven't finished installing it yet, so I don't know if it actually works... When I was looking for mine I saw several for sale. If you want to stick with the hot water version and you're not looking for 100% accurate restoration you can find other sources for heater cores, just have to get the 24 volt fan. The only tricky bit would be the box inside the cab that switches between defrost and heat.

Good luck,
Jeff

retiredtoy

Hey, talk about being new to this site. This is my first post. Hope I don't break any rules about telling you I have a heater that might work. Actually I was in the same predicament as you. I just purchase a 71 M35A1 (I think. Don't know difference between an A1 and A2)
It had no heater. I found a site that was selling 4 of the complete heater installs. I got the bid and now I am using one of the kits for myself. Here is the problem: The kit is for a 5-Ton instead of a 2 1/2. Everything seems to be the same except for the heater mounting brackets themselves. I had better cut this short. If you are interested, let me know. I'll try to attach a picture of parts laying out.
Thanks.

Attachments

jollyroger

I have the hot water cab heater in mine. With the insulated vinyl soft top and exterior temps of 15-20*F it is luke warm in the cab. There is a lot I could do to seal the truck up better but I prefer to have to turn the heat down instead of wish it were warmer. A couple months ago I found some fuel fired heaters for the deuce on GL. They were selling two kits in a lot. They went for more than I wanted to spend. I will find what I want in time. The heater it has now is good enough to get me by and defrost the windows. My question is what is the fuel consumption like for the fuel fired heaters?