• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-35 Garwood winch

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Morning Folks I have a question that I cannot seem to find the answer for, I have a M-35 that I just purchased a Garwood 10,000 pound winch for, the winch needs new cable, what is the size I need, some people say 1/2 inch and some say 5/8 inch??? Next question is How much cable do I install onto the winch? How much is supposed to be on there?? Thanks very much ofr your help, this seems liek an easy question but I have been able to find NO good accurate informationn pertaining to this!
Thanks again
Karl

avengeusa

1/2 inch, and be sure to get good cable, you need no more than 200 feet, as that is about all that will fit on the drum

DanMartin

Karl,

I know you are new here, but just so you know..there are a million threads on this already. Search is your friend. :)

To answer your question fully...you want 200' of 6x19 1/2" diameter, Fiber Core (FC), Right Hand (RH), Ordinary Lay (OL), Improved Plow Steel (IPS), Flexible Steel Wire Rope (FSWR). If you go to any rigging shop they will know what that all means and get you what you need. Ask if they offer pressurized lubrication service (they press lubricant into the cable under pressure)...messy, but the cable will last a lot longer.

What are you going to do about the termination end? There is a thread on that too...I posted the instructions on how the end goes together...I'll let you search for that. :)

Here's a link to a good wiki page on wire rope: Wire rope - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
hey if your new to winching id only put 75 or 100 ft on .i have 245 ft on mine and have winched for 25 years and im thinking of taking 100 ft off easer to use a snatch cable than watch so close for piling up on either side. i put the whole roll on to pull out a tractor in a very wet medow .and havent got around to cutting it yet

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is my canned message for the new deuce owners!

Educate oneself by reading the TM.s We have made them available free of charge here on Steel Soldiers. Go to the top, click on resources then scroll down to technical manuals. Once there search for TM 9-2320-361-10 and TM 9-2320-361-20 as starters. Right click on them and save them to your computer for best results. The -10 is the operators and the -20 is the unit maintenance manual. You can also grab the TM 9-2320-361-34, TM 9-2320-361-20P and TM 9-2320-361-34P. That completes that series of TM. All of the 209 manuals are a different series.