• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-37 disc brakes

CGarbee

I've done a bunch of conversions using the kits that Ray fabricates. They are great. Very high quality of workmanship and wonderful customer support. Ray is headed back to Thailand at the end of July, so if you want to order a kit, you need to contact him ASAP.
Putting discs on the front only will improve your braking dramatically, enough so that you can toss a person through the windshield if they aren't strapped in... :) Put them on all four corners and you can stop doing the biweekly brake adjustment and can enjoy picking up innexpensive brake pads at your local parts store when it comes time to refresh the brakes... :) :)

I've got the discs on all four corners of all my M37 varients...

On the front, everything is a bolt on. After you send off your hubs for some machine work and get the hubs and the instalation kits back, you source the rotors and loaded calipers locally (I always ask for '78 Chevy Silverado 3/4 ton 4x4 when I walk up to the counter, it makes it easier for the guys at the parts store to find what I am looking for...) and bolt everything up. If you are doing the rears, you will have to blow off the rivets holding on the brake backing plates instead of unbolting them but otherwise the instalation is the same...

Ray moved to Thailand a couple years ago to allow his wife to be closer to her mom...

CGarbee

Yep, Ray has a deal with a guy in either SC or GA (can't remember which) who is doing the hub machine work and rotor bracket assembly for him so that you don't have to ship your cores to OR. You still order from Ray and he sends you the shipping and payment info depending on your home IP code. If you are on the east coast, you send part of the money to Ray and part to the other guy.

I have a few sets on the way as we speak... :)

CGarbee

Yep, Ray has a deal with a guy in either SC or GA (can't remember which) who is doing the hub machine work and rotor bracket assembly for him so that you don't have to ship your cores to OR. You still order from Ray and he sends you the shipping and payment info depending on your home IP code. If you are on the east coast, you send part of the money to Ray and part to the other guy.

I have a few sets on the way as we speak... :)

CGarbee

Ray was charging $560 an axle but had a price increase August 1, 2008 of I think $60. You had to ship the hubs either to him or his East Coast contractor at your cost, shipment back to you along with the rest of the kit was included in his price.
Currently, the only items that do not ship in the kits are the loaded calipers and rotors, you snag those at your local parts house. Just ask them forparts for a '78 Chevy Silverado 4x4 with a 350 as they know how to plug that into a computer and find them ... ;) You also need a set of hub seals and the flange gaskets or some permatex as you will be doing a bearing service as part of the instalation.
Obviously, you also need brakelean and brake fluid, and a tub of disc brake rated bearing grease as well.