• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-37 Steering gearbox

simbalion

I have just dipped into the world of military vehicles by buying a 1952 Dodge M-37 off a friend of mine. Right now I am trying to get the truck road-worthy to do a couple of tasks before the bodywork begins. One worry is that the steering gearbox has some definite slack in it. The gearing seems fine, but the bearings appear wore and I am wondering if there is any adjustment for these? A diagram of the Gemmer B-60 steering gear would be nice. Searching the net brings up all sorts of junk I don't want.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! :grin:

WPNS421

Your best bet for information is Vintage power Wagons1-888-695-0578 they are great and they just don't sell the parts they have the right answers to any problems concerning the m37. I did a complete frame rebuild and I got the parts and expertise from these people. Give them a call

simbalion

I'll try that, thanks. I think I used to get catalogs for them when I had my civilian 1960 Power Wagon, but that truck needed more work than I could do. I'll give them a call as soon as possible as I don't like trucks that wander all over the road. Have dealt with that before and its not fun.

AZDeuce

I've owned 3 different M37s over the years, I've fixed my wandering problems different ways, on different trucks, but check your King Pins first, they wear out, there's removable shims to tighten them up for quick fix, but I usually remove the top brass/bronze bushing and replace it with the same bearing and race that's on the bottom. Use a manual it will show you step by step, and gives the torque specs.

Also on the steering box inside the frame, closest to the engine, there is a locking nut, on a shaft that you can dial one way or the other with a large screwdriver then retighten the lock nut while you hold the adjusting shaft in place with the screwdriver (you do have 3 hands don't you?). This will tighten up the play in the steering box itself.

But I'd check the king pins first, as they're usually shot after about 50 years. It's not that hard, it can be done over a weekend.

Good luck.

Mike_L

Hey AZDeuce,

I know this has been discussed several times to include on the G741.org site but how do you set pre-load for these when using two bearings instead of the stock setup? Do you go by feel or do you have a specific rotational force value you are going for?

None of the previous discussions, as I recall, give a specific value for the pre-load. Most seem to go by feel. I keep waiting for someone to set it up by feel or to where they want it and go back with a torque wrench and check the force value. Don't think anyone has done that yet.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought it said in the manual to use a small scale, tied to the knuckle with a string. Its supposed to take a few pounds of pull, to turn it. Its been a while - don't remember the values. Pull, or add a few shims. I didn't re-use the bronze bearing. They beat out pretty fast. I used the same one as on the bottom. If your in there, be sure to change that inside bushing and seal for the axle shaft.

Lee in Alaska

Mike_L

A couple of years ago, I replaced my inner bushings, seals and repacked the hubs. I left the bronze bearing on but had to replace one of the bottom bearings. I was tempted at the time to replace the top ones too but I wasn't sure of how to pre-set the load with that type of bearing, so I didn't. Been wanting to change them over next time I'm in there.

simbalion

I did find where the slop in my steering gearbox is at. When you wiggle the steering wheel, the output shaft wobbles up and down in the housing! Wonder what the heck caused that to happen? Also I wonder if it can be re-bushed or just get a rebuilt one or NOS one if possible. I looked at another unrestored M37 last summer and it had just about as much travel in the steering wheel and the guy was driving it! Yikes! :shock:

Capt.Marion

Have you checked out the g741.org message boards? It's exclusively devoted to the M37/43/etc, and I think there might be some folks over there that would have a diagram of some sort... or plenty of advice.