• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-52 Recovery

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Local fire district surplussed out their old water truck. price was right and got a few extras. Forgot the date..1973, not sure what size tank it is. Definitely a bubba (no offence bubba) job; but a bubba job that works, is a real good bubba job. Was a gasser, now a diesel. Not sure what yet. Lots to learn...this ones going to be fun!

Attachments

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure if it will stay a water truck. Out here where we live there's VERY limited fire protection. Grass fires can go from zero to plaid in just a few seconds (anyone hear about the fire in idaho? 13,500 acres burnt in 3 hours and 15 minutes). There is a pump in the back and some hoses. I'll have to play with it. if i can make it a pumper again...it'll probably stay. Don't know how i'd replace the 5th wheel anywho.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Water tank is shot. Once the hands can do some bolt removals, I'll be disconnecting it enough to remove it at the scrap yard. If someone wants it, PM me, I'm just going to dump it. If nothing else, I migt make enough from the scrap to buy some needed parts. I'll be pulling the water pump, hoses and what not from the tank storage boxes. I'd keep it but I don't have the welding skills needed to make the tank work properly (hold water).

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi
Need some help. I've looked up every written source I can find and this is what I have so far: M-52A2 Tractor, 6X6 made by Diamond T. 5th wheel and all equipment rear of the cab was removed and a water tank was bolted in it's place. The title and the data plate don't match and I'm working on that but in the mean time I'm trying to figure out what year the truck is. It was reengined with the multi fuel engine LDS-465-1A as noted in the Standard Catalog of US Military Vehicles, Vol II in 1989 (the data plate on the engine says 1988 . I think it has the Spicer 5 speed transmission based on the book as well. When shifting between 1st and reverse you have to wait for the hissing sound indicating the gears have shifted. If you don't wait, I was warned it would trash the transmission. The only markings on the frame I can find are in the right front wheel well. There's a G and an S in odd locations and not parallel to the ground. In front of the tire but before the spring mount is a number code that starts with a 3 followed by a circled s(maybe, hard to read for sure) and then followed by the numer 66. The data plate that has the block for a date is blank. The only block filled in that had to be done by stamp or etching is the serial number which is another problem I have to work on.

Does anyone have an M-52A2 they can look at and see what the numbers on the frame has in relation to the data plate? Or can anyone have a way of telling it's age by other means?

Thanks for any help you can provide. My first post in this thread shows the data plates, which indicate it has a gasoline engine in it :confused::confused::confused:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update: Truck is a 1966 Diamond T based on physical evidence located on the truck. For reasons unknown, the records Carnac has are slightly different, and the title issued by the state based on the paper work received from the Government at the time of sale is utterly confusing. Since the title is based on the Gov't info, the title is the corrrect information (1973 Kaiser). This cannot be changed to include the VIN that is no where to be found. Maybe once I get the tank off a number will magically appear making everything clear (yea right). Anyway, pulled all the lights off the tank, pulled the diesel powered water pump, valves and fittings. Removed all the fire hoses and tested the rear frame mount lights. Lights work great; just have to replace the lenses, which I have on hand. For some reason, they were sprayed with undercoating (as was the rest of the truck). Hope to have the last little bit of stuff disconnected and then off to the scrap yard to pull the tank. I'll post photos of the truk after the tank is gone. Would have liked to keep the tank but there are holes big enough to put your hand through into the tank.

indy4x4fab

Banned
I say mount the water tank on a trailer chassis and then turn the tractor back into a tractor so that way you can also get a low boy trailer or any other trailer that maybe useful or helpful.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should be a nice truck once you get that tank off the back. Are you putting the winch on it?
The winch is going on one of my M-35s; it's only a 10K hoist. The M52, as near as I can find out, used a 20K winch.. The M52's data plate indicates it was originally WO/W. I'm looking at two possibilities: 1. find the original or nearly original 5th wheel, skid plates and assorted stuff to return it to the original tractor configuration. The other idea is to take the bed of the XM-211, which has severly damaged sides (unrepairable), get a welder to cut off the sides and make it a flat bed. The base/bed/flat part, whatever it's called is in good shape. No real bad dings or rust. Without the sides, I can make a flat bed, mount a hoist on it for the spare tire (once I find some 11.00 x 20s). It will still be able to tow things with the pintle, such as the occasional stray 155 artilery piece:D.

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I say mount the water tank on a trailer chassis and then turn the tractor back into a tractor so that way you can also get a low boy trailer or any other trailer that maybe useful or helpful.
Very good ideas! Unfortunately, that project is a bit above my capabilities. Trailers are few and far between in this neck of the woods, especially that size and type. Getting the tank off the truck will take a pretty big hoist, which I don't have access to for such a project. As far as the return to 5th wheel configuration, I'd really like to do that and am actively searching for the set up. There are several in the want ads but when shipping is figured in, the cost is way outside my budget. Now if there's someone who wants the tank and can get it off the truck, it's yours, free of charge. As of now, barring any changes, I'll be taking it to the scrappers this week or next week; they have a crane that they can get it off the truck.

hughscpa

An option for tank removal would be to unbolt it, chain it to a tree or other sturdy object and drive out from under it. aagood luck on finding the 5th wheel stuff,

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
An option for tank removal would be to unbolt it, chain it to a tree or other sturdy object and drive out from under it. aagood luck on finding the 5th wheel stuff,
I live in SE Wyoming. What's a tree?:lol: Not much else out here either. Maybe if I could catch a herd of antelopes, I could leash them up and spook them.. Only problem I see is getting them to stop....

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got a funtioning fuel system. A little background: when I picked up the truck, it's batteries were dead. Known problem and was prepared for it. The station guys had the truck jumped and ready to be test driven. After the test drive, I shut it down to do a leak check, none found. Jump started it again, loaded up the pickup with the extras and off we went. When we got home, I parked the truck out of the way and started tinkering with it between other chores. After replacing the batteries, it always started. I started a PM by draining the primary filter of anny possible water. Nothing came out. I pulled the filter bowl and the filter was black; no fuel was getting to the bottom of the bowl. Same thing with the secondaries. So, I replaced the filters and wen't looking for the problem. The primary tank's fuel was black. Using a large pair of chem bio gloves (great for protecting ones hands from chemicals, liquid or otherwise) I stuck my hand down in the tank. Someone had been using the tank to dispose of their waste unfiltered, highly contaminated (dug a chunk of asphalt out of the tank) motor oil. I'm i the process of getting it filtered but that's another story. Anyway, drained the tank, pulled it off by sliding it off the rails and onto my garden trailer (sides drop down type, very handy...). Into the barn it went, where I hoisted it up with the engine hoist and some 5K cargo straps. Got the BFAW (Big Freaking Allen Wrench) and removed the drain plug. Lots of black gooey crap came out followed by black colored fuel. Then the pump assembly came out and the fuel cap and screen. A thick layer of goop was still stuck to the bottom, with chunks. One of the chunks turned out to be a 50 cent piece sized chunk of ashpalt. After much cleaning, I got most of the oil out. Enough to say the filters can function properly. I'll be doing 2 or 3 more filter changes fairly quickly to get the last of the gack out of the tank. Now comes the bad part, the pump wasn't working. In fact, it never was working. I have no idea how I made it 60 miles from there to home and started it a number of times without the pump working. Couldn't get the pump replaced (Dang, they're expensive!) so I went to the local NAPA parts store to see what the had. They had a 24 volt DC inline fuel pump, so I gave it a try. It weren't easy but i got it to work. All it has to do is last long enough to get me to and from the scrap yard so I can get rid of that tank. Truck starts right up now. There seems to be an air leak (maybe) cause it keeps surging between 10 and 15 hundred RPM. Occasionally it'll stabilize at about 850 but not for long. I'm still chasing loose lines, leaking hoses etc. so it's a work in progress. Pictures attached of the new and improved fuel system.

Attachments

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure what I'm ging to find once the tank comes off. I'm hoping it can be reconverted to a tractor. Plan B is to take the sides off a damaged 12 foot cargo bed and make it into a flat bed.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plan B it is. Too many things to fix/repair/rebuild to make it into a tractor. I'll take the damaged bed off the XM-211, cut the sides off and make it into a flat bed. The difference in length between the XM-211 and the M52A2 is 3 inches. Plenty of holes in the frame rails so all I need to get is two new oak rail shims to put between the frame and the bed. Pic of damaged bed attached. It was discussed on my XM-211 thread to just slide the bed backward and beat the dents into submission. Can't do that, too much metal in my wrists; I have trouble just picking up a sledge hammer. Hitting something with it would cause pants filing pain.

Attachments

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_1151.jpgIMG_1161.jpgIMG_1681.jpgBeen a while since I've done an update. Here's what's up: bed idea is gone. I'm returning it back to original configuration. I have several M52A2 parts as well as M800 series and series 900 scrounged up. Thank you hendersenj! One of the big problems (more than one...) is the spare tire carrier. The mounts to the frame have proved difficult to obtain. I have a set
of M931(?) Bigfoot frame mounts. They're going to need modification. I don't know how to weld just yet but when I do, I'm going to be busy! I'm installing a complete spare tire carrier. It's a puzzle for sure. I've put better tires on board, just temporarily tho. I've got a new set of 11.00x20 NDCC ties that'll be installed once I get closer. I also have a 5th mount as well as incorrect adapter plates. I have a drill and am not afraid to use it 😋. The fifth wheel is missing a few parts I'm still looking for replacement parts.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks