• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M 578

artnelson

I Want to know if it is leagle to own a M 578 in the US ? I just found 3 of them in various conditions been demilled , can I restore one ?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, they just sold one on GSA too. DH missed the boat and didn't bid. I have been looking at your ebay store, you got some goodies there.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
$8300

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Why is this in the cucv section?
Maybe a 578 is used to recover wheel chocks for reuse, or maybe a 578 uses a cucv as a drip pan, or maybe a 578 is a prime cucv recovery vehicle, or maybe just a slight mistake.

GM-M1008

:funny:Most likely wrong section. The cucv would need a giant peace of recovery equipment to move them cuz thos 5 tons don't have the power to move them.:D

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So its a slight mistake your a mod which don't you move it :)
Moved.

Easy Hoss, it's a bit overwhelming trying to figure out the behind the scenes things here. He'll do fine, give him some slack. :razz:

And the M578 is FUN to drive! Just be sure the engine hatch is latched!!

TacticalTruck

They're not listening Monkeyboy. Two pages and no attempt to answer the question.

If you read the de-mil paperwork, there is verbage about cutting it so it can't be put back together. People do weld stuff back together and I've never heard of anyone losing a piece because of it. You could argue that the armor has been compromised from cutting/welding.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
:funny:Most likely wrong section. The cucv would need a giant peace of recovery equipment to move them cuz thos 5 tons don't have the power to move them.:D
NO need to move them, just run over them :driver:HAPPY 5t driver

Wow cant post anything new
NO, I believe in old tried and true, just like I am, as long as it works for me, that is what counts, just like I laugh at my jokes so NO good joke goes UNlaughed at. :jumpin:

Ord22

The M578 was a recovery vehicle in artillery units. They had the detroit diesel 2 cycle. They had either the 8v71 or the 92, can't remember. It is one awesome vehicle!! He needs to get it as soon as possible before someone demil it. I use to work on them.

L1A1

They're not listening Monkeyboy. Two pages and no attempt to answer the question.

If you read the de-mil paperwork, there is verbage about cutting it so it can't be put back together. People do weld stuff back together and I've never heard of anyone losing a piece because of it. You could argue that the armor has been compromised from cutting/welding.
Jeff
Doesn't the demil order pertain to anything tracked, including M548s? 'Thought it did.

As for reassembling an AFV after demil that might be easier said then done. Aside from requiring the vehicle to be cut in such a way as to remove a specified amount of material (think: 1/8" ) so it can't be rewelded (& have everything fit/line up correctly) they also want large peices completely removed. Not saying if you were really motivated & talented, that it couldn't be done, just saying it might be easier to fab up a new hull and just transfer all of the parts from the old one over...

As for restoring an M578 from three demilled ones, as long as they were released properly, Uncle Sam doesn't care what you do with them. Good luck with your project! looked at a demilled M578 myself some years ago. They're a big machine.
Matt