• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M 817 Manuals

Marcel

I just bought an M817 Whistler and am looking for repair manuals in order to perform repairs and perform proper maintenance. Can anybody help me ?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
817 whistler? I'd have another look. The 817 came factory with the naturally aspirated Cummins NHC250. Perhaps it could be the M51A2 with a whistler multifuel. Manuals will be different. If your truck has the cummins you will need TM 9-2320-260-10 and -20. If its the M52A2 you will need TM 9-2320-211-10 and -20. All of these manuals are availeble as free downloads here on Steel Soldiers. Clcik on resource tab at the top and scroll to tech manuals.

Marcel

How can I discern what I have in my back yard? If I send you the V.I.N. can you ascertain what model # etc. etc. etc?

papercu

Easiest way is to check is location of air filter can. M809 series is mounted on driver side fender. M39 series is mounted on the other side. Wayne

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can also check to see what engine it has or what model is depicted on the DATA plate.

Marcel

Okay, The air filter can is on the right side. Most pictures that I have seen of these 5-ton dumps has the air filter cans on the drivers side and were characterized as normally aspired m 817's and the one that I saw with the air filter on the left was characterized as an 817 turbo diesel or whistler. This led me to the wrong conclusion that it was an 817 whistler. So this is a M39 Whistler----correct?

reb87

IF it is an 817 than it will have a large air cleaner on the drivers side fender(outside the hood) If it is on the pass side it is not a 817. 817 should be a 5 ton dumptruck

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Data plate is above the map compartment inside the truck. It sounds like you have the M51A2. Use the TMs I listed above and familiarize yourself with the orations and especially the brake system before you use it

jatonka

I can bring manuals for this truck to the COMVEC show in Chester Connecticut on June 13th if you are coming. You can meet a lot of MV collectors and vendors here and learn a lot. John Tennis

Marcel

Thank You for all of your help in Chester. Will be purchasing the other spin on filter set-up in the near future. What do you suggest I use for engine oil and how much does it take? I have the lube manual but you have experience and may know if there is a particular brand of oil which is better for my vehicle than the others.

Last edited:

jatonka

It was nice to meet you, enjoyed our visit. And I'll be around for the other kits when you are ready. Real good meeting the other SS members who came to COMVEC. WOW, what a great show, found out today it was the biggest attendance ever in 32 continuous years of COMVEC shows. Some of my best friends are those Connecticut Yankees. JT out

Marcel

I didn't get to ask you where in upper state New York that you live? I hike in the Adirondacks and love the country up there. I have hiked many of your High Peaks and have thru-hiked the Northville-Placid Trail as well. It reminds me of Maine which is where I plan on retireing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks