• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-818 License Plates in Indiana

RGummere

Hello;

My Father and I will be taking delivery of our 818 soon after sorting out a few minor bugs (dimmer switch inop,headlamp inop) and our next hurdle will be getting plates for it.We're wondering if anyone could provide any advice/info for getting the beast plated.We've been told different things depending on which License Branch we've been to,everything from "it's ok with collector plates "to "you have to run plates like you are driving a commercial rig" We're just going to be running it as it is with no trailer so if anyone could help clue us in it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again,
Richard

pcblakeley

Well, it is not the same state but here is what I did.

I went to the DMV or Secretary of State and asked to title the vehicle as Historic. I would bring whatever you have as paperwork including the SF-97 and bill of sale. bring the manual from the Army stating the weight for the model. I would bring a photo of the data plate printed in color.

I would start this quest with an E-mail to the headquarters of the DMV asking them exactly what they need from you to register it. be sure to include everything about the truck in the first E-mail to them. (Military Vehicle, intended use, Weight, documentation you have, sale price)

You then are armed with the answer from the DMV headquarters instead of relying on some random employee that calls your number in the waiting area of the local office.

It helps to smile and be overly polite, you would be amazed at what a simple positive comment and a smile will get you these days.

Good luck and welcome to the site!

Post up some pics of the rig when you get it, we like pictures!

jimm1009

Indiana Code - Chapter 14: MILITARY VEHICLE REGISTRATION

Above is a link that should help you.
I live in Louisiana but am a Hoosier by birth, went to college in Vincennes, and born in Evansville.
There is another Hoosier (or two) living in Evansville that may chime in here and I can not remember his S.S. Name. I believe that he has a Deuce or 5-ton.
I'm always interested in this topic as I would love to move back to Dubois / Martin County area some day.
Please post your findings and what happens with your particular happenings.

jimm1009 here on S.S. or e-mail; jimm1009@yahoo.com

lstmate

JIMM1009 has given you the information that you requested...... Great reference point. Probably the SS'er he was referring to is hookin1 out of Evansville.

Jimm1009 come on up be happy to have you in Dubois county with me.......

cbvet

Historic vehicle registration is the way to go.
Take to DMV:
1. Title
2. Three pictures of the truck's numbers. Doesn't matter where the numbers are, as long as they're painted-on in contrasting color. I use one inside each door & one inside tool box door.
3. Inspection form signed by STATE police officer confirming registration numbers.
4. Apply for "lifetime" registration. No plate is required.
5. Pay $12 or so.

Say thank you to Governor Mitch Danielsl! (He also signed the "Castle Doctrine" law)

jimm1009

We have it the same down here. Stencil the registration numbers on the front and back or on the hood depending on what vehicle and time period is correct for it and the registration is permanent.
It costs about $60 here but is good until the vehicle is tranferred to another state or destroyed. It tranfers to another in-state purchaser if sold to one as well.
And no "ugly-azz" license plate to ruin the looks of your O.D. Green "Monster".
I'm so glad you guys can do it in a similar fashion there.
Keep us posted please.

jimm1009

Last edited:

jdknech

i just did this to my truck also, and the bmv also gave me antique tags- because the stenciled numbers are not good in other states, so i just put the tag on if i know i'm gunna be taking it out of state:grd:
i have also talked to indiana DOT, and ANYTHING being used for PERSONAL use ONLY!! (no buddys PAYING you to move anything :twisted:) can be tagged as a normal truck, AND no CDL needed:grin: they dont care that it has air brakes or that its a tractor... good luck! if you need anymore info, let me know- josh

RGummere

Guys; Outstanding!! Thanks for the replies this will help out a bunch !! I'll get some pics up of our deuces shortly.Dad has a road trip planned to look at them (Anniston,Al) as soon as we get our EUC.I'll keep you posted on them and the 818.We're supposed to pick it up in about a week from the shop in Northern In.
I appreciate the help!! -Richard

rossM4

jdknech, so the gross vehicle weight, air brakes, #of axles, ext. means nothing if the 5 ton is for personal use, no cdl no commercial plates none of the b.s.????????? that is awesome!!! now thats out of the way only thing I have to do is find some cheap insurance and.......... get some money to buy a rig:cool:

RGummere

rossM4, Check the Indiana Vehicle Code,chapter 14 Indiana Code - Chapter 14: MILITARY VEHICLE REGISTRATION Dad and I then went to the State Police Post, with the antique vehicle checklist and the State Police form ( two-sided one for vehicles/watercraft) then took those completed forms to the BMV. I'd call ahead to the BMV though because the one by Dad tried telling him we needed a CDL, Dot #'s etc. We went to a different one and got it sorted. If you need more info, PM me!

rossM4

thanks a lot for the info man!!!! im trying to get the funds together for a 5 ton or a deuce and i just wanna get all this sorted out so i have an idea of what to expect from the dreaded BMV. thanks again for the info.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks