• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-818 Winch Questions

The PIG Smith

Thank you for the reply and the welcome.

Any guess of how difficult it would be to install a headache rack with a large winch behind the cab?
I would like to use a M-818 to recover antique bulldozers and other earth moving equipment.
Your comments, suggestions and flames are appreciated.

rmgill

Bryan, I've been thinking about something like this. Given the amount of space, or lack there of, I've sort of figured that a 5 ton cargo truck with the bed removed, the frame bobbed back near the back of the tandems (like an 818), a 5th wheel and a winch added would work well for a recovery truck. You'd have to find a rear facing PTO OR go with a hydraulic setup.

jwaller

the only 5 ton to have any kind of rear winch is the 816(wrecker). some of the 10ton tractors had drag line winch's in 1 form or another.

91W350

Bryan, if you ever find yourself close to Salina, I have a place for you to visit. He has sold a few now, but he still has at least 30 Cats out there. TEN, FIFTEEN, TWENTY, TWENTY-TWO, THIRTY, THIRTY-FIVE, FORTY, FORTY-FIVE, FIFTY, Several SIXTY tractors, plus a slug of early diesels. He has some pre Caterpillar ton tractors too. You would enjoy the yard and the owner, an old dirt worker that found financial freedom through the crane business. I agree, a M818 or longer 5 ton with rear winch and 5th wheel would be fantastic for that application. Glen

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the only 5 ton to have any kind of rear winch is the 816(wrecker). some of the 10ton tractors had drag line winch's in 1 form or another.
NOT quite true, the 815 (bolster truck) has a nice headrack, is cargo length, has a rear winch, this would make a NICE LWB tractor.

As a side note, in Viet Nam, we had some m52s with rear winchs, thay ran off the tcase, we did not build them but got them like this, thay would pull a narrow neck lowbed with no problem, a flat bed was a problem on some turns. They were 5t front winches, set right on/in the frame, just like the 815. i never have seen anything mentioned about factory rear winch m52s. A A_frame kit also came with these tractors to use with the rear winch for unloading, it mounted when broke down in brackets on the side of the frame like the brackets on the deuce pipe line bed

The PIG Smith

Bryan, if you ever find yourself close to Salina, I have a place for you to visit. He has sold a few now, but he still has at least 30 Cats out there. TEN, FIFTEEN, TWENTY, TWENTY-TWO, THIRTY, THIRTY-FIVE, FORTY, FORTY-FIVE, FIFTY, Several SIXTY tractors, plus a slug of early diesels. He has some pre Caterpillar ton tractors too. You would enjoy the yard and the owner, an old dirt worker that found financial freedom through the crane business. I agree, a M818 or longer 5 ton with rear winch and 5th wheel would be fantastic for that application. Glen
Wow!
I would like that very much!

I am member of the Historic Construction Equipment Association.
I would love to own my own antique dozer and attend their events.
Typically, the HCEA has one large Service Project each year, where the members come together with their equipment.
This Service Project performs some type of earth moving for a non-profit group or small municipality like clearing out for a park or dig a pond.
The project would be completed over a 3-4 day weekend by the HCEA.

Think of boys in a sand box with Tonka toys and but HCEA members are much older boys and their toys run on Diesel fuel (the older toys run on gas)
The sand box is a wee bit bigger now.

My first step in getting an antique dozer project is getting one to the shop.
Next, after hauling parts for a restoration, is being able to take it to one of the HECA events.
I mean, what good is having an antique dozer if can not take it anywhere?

This where my idea of a M-818 comes in.
I drove one while I served in the US Army.
I was thinking a 5 ton tractor would be a great complement to a antique dozer

But I need to be realistic, as the M-818 only has a top speed of 55mph, not being able to maintain highways speeds is a concern of mine.
I've been looking at M-915 line haul tractors, but I do not know much about those Caterpillar pneumatic transmissions.
My other thoughts were for a older B Model Mack, but those are not cheap as they seem to be collectible.

The PIG Smith

Thank You for warm welcome and kind responses.
I am newbie in your community and have not driven in type of military vehicle on over 20 years.
I am very impressed at how well I have been received.
Lots of other places I have visited to explorer my interests, a newbie can get blasted quick.

The only military vehicle I own is a 1981 Jeep J20 that was used by the USMC.
It was sold to the Marines not by Jeep, but by AM General and was equipped commercial flat bed.
After it served the Marines, it worked for the Anne Arundel County Public Schools where it received its yellow paint job.
It is currently getting a semi frame off restoration as I am replacing the rusty cab from a one from New Mexico.

Csm Davis

go for it the 20k or 45k can be setup to run behind the cab if you ditch the spare and tool box you will have room or use longer starting frame m813, I have thought of puting one on my 818:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks