• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-880's in Air Force

mydiesel

What is the M-880 Crew Cab version the same Dodge used by the Air Force by SAC and other units. Would like to find a 4 X 4 version someday. Any left out there or are they getting rare also.

Thanks

N1265

To the best of my knowledge, The M-880 / M-890 series trucks never came in a crew cab. That being said there were plenty of the 70s era dodge crew cab trucks in the Military. I know The Navy had quite a few ( Painted in battleship gray )

I suspect that these were bought threw the local Dodge dealership by the bases that needed them.

I have not seen one in years...

nkawtg

My active duty unit had a 4x4, 1 ton, crew cab Dodge, but it wasn't an 880. Early to mid eighties model, camo paint job, but but definitely a stripped down civi special. No radio, etc.

Got a little tweaked during an airdrop run bad. We still used it.........it was a tough truck.

mydiesel

Thanks for the info. I saw a video some time ago of SAC alert, with dodge crew cab's used to get flight crews to the B-52's at the buzzer. I will see if I can find it.
Thanks again. They were painted AF blue.

Jim

moosejr

crew cab not m-880

I was in SAC in the late 70's and early 80's, at both missile and bomber bases. The crew cabs we had were standard civilian model 1-ton 4x4's. We used them for security police response, and also for hauling campers to the missile fields for missile silo security. They were painted Air Force "strata blue". These were full 1-tons, so actually heavier built than the m-880, which was actually comparable to the civilian 3/4-ton as far as the axles, etc.

mydiesel

Thank you guys for the great info. Today we are using Ford F-350 crew cabs for flight line and security duties. I am with the MN Air Guard out of Minneapolis. I'm a Dodge guy anyway, future project truck I guess. So I suppose these Dodges were just civilian trucks painted Strata Blue with no special military mods.

N1265

Probably no special Mods coming from Dodge, If there were there should of been a contract involved and therefore given an " M " designation. But I am sure they modified them as they seen fit at the unit level...

They probably just special ordered a mess of Civi trucks in Strata blue. I see a lot of 1 ton Dodge 15 passenger vans up this way that come from Write Patterson in Strata blue and I suspect that is the deal with them.

To bad we don't have access to an AF motor pool guru who could set it straight for us.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks