• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M 890 Dodge parts needed

William_Max

I have a really nice Dodge M 890 5/4 ton pick up. This is the two wheel drive version of the 880. With 90k on the clock it is in excellent cosmetic shape and runs really well. I have one small problem. The manual steering gear box is shot. It can not be adjusted any more and it will not pass inspection. I have also been told that it is not a good idea to drive it till it is fixed. I have not been able to find a replacement on the civilian market, This includes NAPA and the usual run of auto parts suppliers. I can find Power steering gear boxes all day but no manual steering ones. Several suppliers have said that that truck never came with manual steering.

I have heard that there are some secret hordes of M880 and M890 parts available. Does anyone know the locations or contact information for anyone who might have parts for a humble 890 or any suggestions on where to find a steering box.

Sincerely
Bill Max

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You might try the boards at www.moparts.com, there are a lot of Dodge truck guys there.

It's a real long shot, but there is a company called Steer And Gear that rebuilds steering boxes and has access to all sorts of cores, etc. Also Firm Feel, although they seem to be more involved with Mopar passenger cars than trucks.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not power steering? I believe there's a kit out there to upgrade to P/S for 70s Mopar trucks (and those auto parts places that think there were no manual steering Dodges in the 70s aren't doing their research), and it's not that hard to install.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put power steering on my M880, Used parts ( Junk Yard )
Note you must use one from a 2wd truck for a 76 or 77.
The 4wd unit turns opposite.
Check with Bill Harbaugh in Maryland 301-241-3980 he has lots of M880 stuff

I have a 78 D100 parts truck w/ power steering, but I am pretty sure you would have to change out the whole steering column too.

RF202

Bill,
I have a manual box for 2wd Dodge,76 model. Would need to check it to be sure, but I believe it is in good condiition. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks,
John

ressem

I have a manual steering gear for the m880 I do not need. It is in good shape,I just replaced it with powersteering unit. I am located in KY and I will make you a great deal.

papercu

Steering box

I don't show anything in Vir. but my source shows a good many, ranging in price from new 275.00 to used 60.00 if you send a zip I might can find something closer to you. Also it show that boxes from 1972 to 1979 will interchange but you'll need to check that with the seller. Good luck.Wayne

BTY If I was changing it I would go with PS.

William_Max

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this discussion. I got a good used steering box for my Dodge M 890 (two wheel dive) from Bill Harbaugh in Maryland. Great guy to deal with and I am going up for more 890 parts very soon.
I have also learned why the 880 steering box doesn't work in an 890. They look identical BUT. The input and output of steering box on the 880 turn in opposite directions. The input and output on the 890 turn the same direction. When you put an 880 box in an 890, when you turn the steering wheel, the truck goes in the opposite direction. This gets REALLY SPORTY when you are trying to back out of a garage.
I have also picked up a rather nice M 101 trailer to go with the 890 today so I now have the complete package. The cammo even matches.

Thanks again everyone for your assistance,
Sincerely
Bill Max

acetomatoco

Those steering boxes wore out really fast because the nice folks at Chrysler Corp and their supplier forgot to put gear lube in em...ACE

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks