• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M 923 Transfer case not shifting

engineer233

Hey guys, I have a problem . While driving my M923 home from FT. Lee last week I made it 400 of the 560 mile trip mostly uneventful. While driving I started to hear what seemed to be a bearing going out under the cab. At 2am I could not determine exactly what it was . The truck still seems to pull great it is only at 25 + mph and when you let off the fuel and aren't slowing or accelerating you start to hear this now . Rather than tear it up any worse I called a wrecker. Now at home I tried to place the shifter into low range and it just wont shift into low .. What possibly is wrong and what transfer cases will fit this truck? Also does anyone know of someone who knows how to rebuild these ? Any suggestions will help at this point. Thanks

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would put the truck up on jack stands run the truck to determine if the noise is definitely coming from the transfer case. Some noises can resonate through the driveline making it seem as if the noise your hearing is in the TC or you can disconnect the driveline at the output yoke of the TC and check it that way. As far as it not going into low make sure that the button on the TC shift lever is not stuck, that tends to happen with these trucks.

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question....were you able to shift the t case into high/low before? Both of my m939's are a PITA to shift. Sometimes I have to move the truck in order to get it to shift.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I have an NOS transfer case but we'll have to confirm it is the correct one for your truck. Down side it is in ATL. Up side is GA Rally is coming up and someone maybe able to haul it back for you. But again, we need to confirm what I got and what you need.

engineer233

I have the rear drive shaft out and the front axle not locked in . The noise is still there when I put the truck in drive and run it up. It is in the tranny or t-case . I will be able to check it further on Wednesday. I feel like an idiot , I didn't try to shift it into low range before I got home with it . I will definitely check to make sure to check the button on the shifter. It did seem to be hard to push now that I think about it. The engine developed an oil leak on the front on the way in to . seems to be slinging off the fan pulley . Where ever it is coming from it covered everything under the hood .These trucks are totally new to me . Although mine seems to have a few issues I really love how this truck handles .

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I would concur that the best truck I ever had was a non-CTIS 923A1. I ran the legs off of her and then some.

The only downside I ever had with the 5 ton was the bed height and having to heft stuff up onto it. Nowdays I'm getting too old and feeble to lifting.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks