• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-977 cooling fan

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Folks I am just getting ready to finish up installing all new cooling lines and the thermostats on my HEMTT its a 88 M-977 with an 8V92 Detroit and while working on this I thought about the cooling fan and tried to move it, meaning I tried to turn it and it would not turn. Well my next question is do you know if this is a clutch type fan, or a fan that is activated by a thermo coupling of some sort to activate it? OR is it just a direct belt driven fan and all is fine with what I have?
I have asked a few folks and have gotten a few different answers, does anybody have a known correct answer for me?

Thanks much guys!

Karl

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Clutch type fan activated by I am going to assume fluid since it does have a pressure relief valve off of the clutch it self on the top side. With a feed from the drivers side of the engine below the exhaust manifold. Part # 64170DX

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
fuel shutoff of and M977

Hey guys I just replaced the thermostats on my M977 and all the hoses on the cooling system while I had everything torn down, today got everything back together fired the engine up and let it warm up and all while dumping coolant into the radiator, and checking for leaks. Took it out for a drive and everything seems very happy between 180 and 190 degrees. OK all is good, I drove home and got it in front of my shop and go the shut the truck down and it wont shut off. There is a round can looking this on top of the engine with an arm on it that reaches over to the fuel linkage, my ammeter shows a draw when I hit the shut down button but no activation of the solenoid. I disconnected it and shut the truck down by hand. Do you guys know anything about this can looking solenoid, is it prone to failure and is it a repairable item or is it a replacement item? I am going to take it off and open it up tomorrow but though you guys might have some wisdom to share prior that?

Any good thought are welcome
Thanks
Karl

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hey guys I just replaced the thermostats on my M977 and all the hoses on the cooling system while I had everything torn down, today got everything back together fired the engine up and let it warm up and all while dumping coolant into the radiator, and checking for leaks. Took it out for a drive and everything seems very happy between 180 and 190 degrees. OK all is good, I drove home and got it in front of my shop and go the shut the truck down and it wont shut off. There is a round can looking this on top of the engine with an arm on it that reaches over to the fuel linkage, my ammeter shows a draw when I hit the shut down button but no activation of the solenoid. I disconnected it and shut the truck down by hand. Do you guys know anything about this can looking solenoid, is it prone to failure and is it a repairable item or is it a replacement item? I am going to take it off and open it up tomorrow but though you guys might have some wisdom to share prior that?

Any good thought are welcome
Thanks
Karl
That is the shut off 24v solenoid Karl. Part number 1118191-1. Available at a detroit parts dealer or ebay. Won't shut off again just smack it with a hammer.

other part numbers 1118191, 23504197, P515A57V24, 5945002644173

Attachments

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wes you are truly one in a million my friend THANKS for the info and I will email you on the other subject in a little bit!
Thanks again!!!

Karl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks