• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-Gator overheating

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took the 2001 M-gator for a spin the other day and it overheated and shut down. It has the Yanmar diesel engine. I found the water pump wasn't moving coolant. Come to find out, if it sucks in air (like opening the radiator cap :doh:) it will lose the prime in the water pump and not pump water thru the radiator. I replaced the thermostat, radiator cap, and reservoir cap. I bled the system per the TM (P.I.A.). Anyway, I checked the radiator fan by crossing the wires and it runs. I ran the gator the other day and I feel pressure in the top hose (seems it's pumping), but the fan doesn't go on. I didn't run it too long as I don't want to overheat it again. I'm not sure when the fan kicks on so I'm not sure how else to check that it's functioning correctly. I've read NOT to open the radiator cap as this will suck in air (which I have already and learned the hard way). Anyway, I have a new radiator thermostat and, before I replace it (it's a bit of work), I would like to know how else I can test if it is or isn't the radiator thermostat. Any coaching?

nickd

Mike,
I had a similar issue. Sounds like a vapor lock. My radiator filler cap is located in the hose section. In order to fill the system properly I used a kit from NAPA. The kit consists of a funnel that locks on to the radiator filler neck. The instructions call for you to start the engine and add coolant slowly. As the water pump rotates, air in the system will be displaced by the coolant. Once the system is full remove the funnell and replace the cap. Make sure the coolant reservoir is full.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool idea. I ended up borrowing an "air lift " tool from a mechanic friend. Vacuum bled the system and filled it at the same time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks