• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M...X Trailer....

Bighurt

Alright it's non mil, but I made it mil colored...LOL

FIL built this 6'x10' a few years back to fetch materials for a garage we built. He didn't want to constantly borrow the F350. Anyways I adopted the little Gem and use it fairly often. Only holds 3k lbs but it's low sturdy and pulls straight. All my yard sheds are actually built to it's dimensions so they can come with when I move.

For those that have meet me or heard the wife aside from an addiction to MV's and Trailers I'm a shed nut. I'd be a building nut but foundations are a little harder to move and I'm a one man show right now...LOL

Back to the point this little trailer was never painted raw steel, which instantly rusted, fenders had some leftover paint from the salvaged fenders. The deck was treated lumber to start, but other than that nothing.

So I decided to give her a make-over.

Pressure washed the whole deal. Pulled the wheels, masked the important stuff, removed the lights, and gave her ****.

I decided not to sand, fill or smooth anything to reduce costs after all time is money and this isn't an actual project.

I had a case of primer, 686 Tan and a few OD green. The primer and OD are 9 years past their shelf life. Primer turned out fine (no pictures) but the OD was kinda separated. The trailer has stake sides and some lumber sides, those got the OD green as it wasn't very nice and the wood soaked it up better than the metal. No pics of those as I had to stop cause it started to rain.

Two coats of primer and she became a ghost trailer. Then I hit her with the 686 Tan...WOW, I love it.

I bought a case to touch up my M915 and M871, and I sorta tested the rattle can paint job to see if it will work on a M105. I purchased Gillespie from Rapco, I did end up with a bad can, sprayed product for about 10 minutes and stopped, there is a good 70% left in the can...I'll have to call them on Monday.

All in all I went through 6 cans of primer, 3+ cans of tan and 2+ cans of OD on the wood. Not bad and I'm thrilled with the look, and the quality of the paint I did get out of the cans...LOL

Originally I just did this to use up the paint, before it was worthless and to make the eyesore a little more presentable.

I love the way it turned out, so much in fact I'm going to get some stencils and fab up some Mil like markings.

Sorry for the non-mil post but I had to share, besides this would be a great trailer behind a M1009...LOL

I'll post completed pics tomorrow.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks