• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1000 HET Trailer Kingpin

Mspike

Does anyone happen to know anything about changing out the 3.5" kingpin of the trailer to a 2"? I have noticed a few references on some of the equipment information, but can not find any specific reference in the TM. Any info would be appreciated.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll stand corrected, but I do not think the M1000 trailer has the option to change out the King Pin - unlike the M870 LET trailer.

That trailer is only supposed to be towed by a HET - 3 1/2" fifth wheel.

I'm guessing you are at prepurchase phase otherwise you'd see it's construction. That's a lot of work to cut out the bigger one and substitute a 2"...

Your best option would be to purchase a bigger fifth wheel for the tractor. There are plenty of them for sale as Towns are buying M916A3's for snow/sander conversions.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are a lot of threads covering this. A bolt on bushing is a quick, fairly cheap solution for off road. Now comes the argument that it's road DOT legal...

If you do have it cut out, change over to a removable 3.5" king pin and have a double ended pin made with both sizes, so you can just flip the pin when you need a 3.5" in the future.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are a lot of threads covering this. A bolt on bushing is a quick, fairly cheap solution for off road. Now comes the argument that it's road DOT legal...

If you do have it cut out, change over to a removable 3.5" king pin and have a double ended pin made with both sizes, so you can just flip the pin when you need a 3.5" in the future.
Oops. Sorry, was thinking backwards, disregard first paragraph!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would rather change a 5th wheel than take the azz whoppin to change a kingpin

putz273

I own an DRS M1000. I have talked with the people who made these and they said good luck getting g the pin out. It was pressed in with a 200 ton press. I would suggest building a "Top Hat" You will need the rise difference anyway due to the fifth wheel height differences of a commercial truck compared to the M1070 HET. Its not hard to fabricate one just remember to make it tough. You can reach me @ HeavyHaulTrucking@GMail.com if you have any questions
.Big Load7.jpgOshkosh Loaded.JPG

NEIOWA

I'll stand corrected, but I do not think the M1000 trailer has the option to change out the King Pin - unlike the M870 LET trailer.

That trailer is only supposed to be towed by a HET - 3 1/2" fifth wheel.

I'm guessing you are at prepurchase phase otherwise you'd see it's construction. That's a lot of work to cut out the bigger one and substitute a 2"...

Your best option would be to purchase a bigger fifth wheel for the tractor. There are plenty of them for sale as Towns are buying M916A3's for snow/sander conversions.
You are correct on all that info. My Fire Dept just stripped a M916A3 (5000mi) so have a 3.5" fifth wheel and a winch installation available.

Going to be a big upgrade from our Navy surplus 1991 Ford F900 6x6 tractor converted to tanker. Moving the 2500gal HEMTT tank from the Ford to the Frtliner. Ford was only 265hp so underpowered. Frtliner will be underloaded with 2500gal.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having been around a M1000 for a while and operating it with and without a load, I think something important to point out is that the 3 trucks mentioned in the M1000 TM as being appropriate for the M1000 (M1070, M911, & MK48/16) all have not only 3.5" kingpin fifth wheels, but somewhat similar ways of mounting that fifth wheel to account for the additional stress of steering the trailer.

I'm unsure of the M911 or MK48's air compressor, but the M1070 has a 4 cylinder, 30+ CFM air compressor, presumably to handle the demand of the CTIS on the tractor, but also a trailer with 10 brake chambers.

putz273

I own a DRS M1000 and a couple M1070's The king pin is removable but the manufacturer told me they doubt it could be pressed out as they put them in with a 200 ton press. My solution is to build a "hat box". You will need one anyway if your wanting to pull the M1000 with a commercial truck. The running height for the M1000 neck is 63" and the commercial trucks run around 43-46" depending on your 5th wheel profile. A hat box will provide the king pin adoption and the rise difference needed, just build it strong.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM 9-2330-381-13 details kingpin replacement. The kingpin is threaded on top and is secured with a nut. The TM only says to "drive" the kingpin out for removal and mentions nothing about a press. This is done on the trailer without removing the bushing that the kingpin sits in. I haven't done any of this, just reading the TM.

m1000.jpg

putz273

Yes I also have seen this TM diagram but with speaking to the manufacture in Missouri, it is near impossible to remove it without cutting it out not to mention getting the wedge steering back in tune. Building a hat box is the best solution to converting this unit to civilian use. I have used mine with a M1070 and with a commercial truck using a hat box. It make pulling the M1000 at its proper ride height of 63" at the kingpin and the deck at 43" front to back with the ride adjustment levels in there proper positions.

Mspike

Thanks Putz. I didn't realize the wedge steering actually used the kingpin as a pivot point. I definitely don't want to screw that up. Did you fab your own hat box? Does it accommodate the wedge to steer the unit on a commercial truck?

putz273

Yes it was fab in my shop. Its easy and true. I believe strength is a key factor due to the wedge steering. So far no problems. I have load 200K on this trailer and no problems. The wedge steering is key but easy to line up. Do you own an DRS M1000?

Mspike

I just recently acquired an M1000 that is in transit to my yard. I did view the photos you posted with your M1000 "loaded". Very impressive.

putz273

I will be loading a 188,000# cutter press next month and transporting it 325 miles That will be the longest single trip with that kind of weight I've done on the M1000. Are you going to use yours for commercial use? If you need any suggestions or inside information feel free to contact me. It's a learning curve every time I move it.

tatra813

Do you have any pics of how you built the hat box?

Do what have you found is the max legal weight you can haul without permits considering 40 tires

I have a m1000 also

putz273

There is nothing you can haul without a permit on it. With my M1070 I am over 90,000# 12' wide empty. With my commercial truck, I'm under 80,000# so I am legal weight. I only use the M1070 for local moves. I built an adapter that allows me to pull the DRS behind my commercial truck. I'll attach pictures of it. It works great. As to the weight I can haul on it. I paid a Texas state engineering firm to certify the trailer for what gross weight I could get legal and they determined 3 different weights, depending on where we were hauling to and what routes we could take and bridges we had to cross. Its complicated but basically I can scale 225,000# in the Houston metro area, 200,000# regional and 190,000# statewide. I increased the hauling weight by changing the tires from 215.75R.17.5 rated at 4,540# to 235.70R.17.5 which have a 25% higher rating @6,005# per tire. expensive to swap but worth is. There are some clearance issues but you learn to work with that.
View attachment 7234905th wheel adapter(3).jpg5th wheel adapter(4).jpg5th wheel adapter(8).jpg20161003_013614000_iOS.jpg