• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008/1028 Dual Fuel Tanks

dam88

I'm sure this is an easy question (all of 'em are :roll: )

I'm looking to purchase a M1028 as a tow/recovery vehicle and want to use bio/WVO in a secondary tank - did the M1008/1028s come with dual tanks or can I use a civy ( :? ) secondary tank?

Thanks,

David

dilvoy

I'm in the process of adding a right hand tank right now and I have found that the two brackets and the tanks are the same for the Left hand and Right tanks, although the brackets need to be flipped to the other side of the tank. The holes for the aux fuel tank brackets are already stamped into the right hand frame. I haven't looked yet to see if the fuel and vent lines will go off in a bad direction, but There is plenty of room for fuel line routing under there or possibly another fuel float assy can be used.

rizzo

please post some pics or report back when you are don for any tips and tricks.

when the fuel tank was replaced in my 1008 they found it easier to lift the front of the bed for access.

dilvoy

Definitly having the bed out of the way makes thing way easier, but it can be done with the bed in place. I pulled a tank out of a truck while the bed was still in place and it seemed not really difficult. I did pull off the fuel fill hose to siphon the fuel out though. There is a ground wire that attaches to the frame that I snipped off, because it's bolt was hard to get too. That was all the butchery that I did in the removal though. Definitly you would want to install new fuel lines onto the fuel pick up/sending unit assy before the tank was reinstalled, because there is not much vertical room to work with between the top of the tank and bottom of the bed, with a bed installed. Just be shure to lable the hoses so you know where to attach them. Some trucks have two hose fittings on the fuel pick up/sending unit and some have three and some like the CUCV's have three with one capped off. I haven't figured out the ryme or reason for this yet, but I will pretty soon as I want to bolt down the bed on the truck that I'm fixing up. I also have not addressed the issue of installing the wiring for the fuel tank switch yet. I am Crew Cab rich right now as I have three, too bad the one I want to fix up is the one with the single tank :evil: , so that is something I will eventually get to as I want to install an aux fuel tank into an M1008 as well and have a factory style operation with the tank switch and fuel gauge function. I may be going up to where I keep my "Gems" tomorrow. I can snap some fotos then.

cobra

my m1010 has dual fuel tanks, which work great. My buddy who fixes tank and other armoured vehicles for the Cdn. forces. has told me that it was very very easy to install them, and took about 2 hours, to get everything hooked up. So it is within your ability dam88 if you wanted to do it yourself

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks