• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008/1028 optimal tire sizes to offset 4.56 gearing

mangus580

FMJ said:
I've done the 700R4 swap also. I did it to a 78 Chev K10, took out the TH350 and swapped in a 700R4 from BTOD, its behind a 400 hp 454 with 3:73's it's got about 20000 on it so far, no ptoblems. The 700R4 was just a bit longer than the 350 so the crossmember holes were redrilled, front DS lengthened, rear shortened. They include a lockup switch so you can tow in third gear without burning up the tranny. I'm very happy with it, so happy that the setup may end up in my 1008.......
When you swap out a 700 in place of a 400 (both on the 208 tcase), you dont have to drill anything. It is a TOTAL bolt in swap (provided you have the tcase and pedastal from the 700r4). Makes it really easy!

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
mangus580 said:
FMJ said:
I've done the 700R4 swap also. I did it to a 78 Chev K10, took out the TH350 and swapped in a 700R4 from BTOD, its behind a 400 hp 454 with 3:73's it's got about 20000 on it so far, no ptoblems. The 700R4 was just a bit longer than the 350 so the crossmember holes were redrilled, front DS lengthened, rear shortened. They include a lockup switch so you can tow in third gear without burning up the tranny. I'm very happy with it, so happy that the setup may end up in my 1008.......
When you swap out a 700 in place of a 400 (both on the 208 tcase), you dont have to drill anything. It is a TOTAL bolt in swap (provided you have the tcase and pedastal from the 700r4). Makes it really easy!
Mine was a 203 T-case, so I had to get a custom output shaft on the 700, and so on.........

AJMBLAZER

I have 38" Michelins on my 1008 and it's totally different than the stock trucks I remember from my time in the Marines and when I first had it on 34-35" tall HMMWV tires.

I think anything that is ACTUALLY 36-38" tall would work pretty well. My 36x12.5-16.5 Goodyears were 34.5" tall in the back and 34" tall in the front with more than half tread left. 3" more tire and the truck drives sooo much better.

How wide you go with the tires does affect fitment though.

I would like to add an OD at some point though. 700R4 would be easiest but a NV4500 would be the greatest.

Croatan_Kid

I'm putting a 700R4 in my M1008 too. The only parts you need to change are the torque converter and the governor so it has that signature "diesel" shift/feel. I too have 11.00R16 Michelin XZLs to throw on it too, so it's getting lifted as well. They're on stock rims and they'll look awesome with 4 or 6 inches of lift. Eventually (soon I hope though) it's getting a turbo setup of some sort. I put the 11Rs on the back the other night and drove it and while it had more gitty up and felt faster at takeoff, I could tell it needed more power. Also, it felt like overdrive would still help, even with the tires measuring right at 38.5 inches tall.

AJM, what air pressure are you running? I've got mine at 40 front and 35 rear. 45 in the rear made it want to wander around.

Also, on the subject of an NV4500 swap:

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techar...n_5_speed_manual_transmission_swap/index.html

There's plenty of work an money involved, but I would love to drive one that had that done to it. I think it would be sweet! I aint got that kinda cash though! :(

AJMBLAZER

35 psi in the front and 30ish in the rear. Was night and day better from the 45 psi the tire place put in them.

Eh, I might be used to carb'd V8's and heavy trucks with 200-250hp V8s. Would I like to turbo mine? Sure. Do I feel it needs it now, no. OD gear and I'd be content with what I have completely.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks