• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 14 bolt upgrade??

bkwudzhom

During my Sunday afternoon stroll through a local junkyard I located a '78 chevy crewcab dually. The emblem on the rear cab post stating 3+3 as well as Camper Special 10,000 GVW. Anybody have an idea of the type rear axle this might be. I would assume it is heavy duty and geared low, the spring pack was huge to say the least. It would be an easy steal right now for less than $200. Any Ideas?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I doubt it will have 4.56 gears like the M1008.

TheDrip

It will be a Dana 70. Not really an upgrade from the 14bolt thats already there. Most likely has 4.10 gears. There are two situations where you would really want this rear end though. If you get D60 dually hubs for the front, and run H1 wheels un-recentered, then this is the axle that matches in width. Alternatively, if you need gearing deeper than the 5.38 thats available for the 14bolt, then a D70 would be a good swap.

Basically, 14bolt is a great axle, why are you trying to replace it?

bkwudzhom

Not trying to replace it. Just located a cheap heavy axle and wondered what could be done with it. I would hate to see it get sent to the crusher if somebody could use it.

12vctd

Other than gearing deeper for a dana 70 rear a 14bolt is actually a better rear beacuse of the pinion support bearing. The only real drawback to a 14bolt is the yoke.

Last edited:

4bogginchevys

first off the 14 bolt is better than the 70 because of the pinion support bearing

also it was pretty rare to see 70s in chevy trucks anywhere 73-87 so it was probably a 14

If the camper special truck was 2 wheel drive with automatic tranny was most likely 4.10 gears but could have been 3.73s

if you want to use the 70 to make a dually out of your truck u should know the 60 and 70 carriers are almost identical....but thier not. The 70's have bigger axle spiders so a swap from a donor 60 for gears is not possible, you'll have to order a new carrier and 4.56 gears, it would be very expensive

you can make your 1008 more stout by using a slip yoke from a 3+3 like that, rear driveline (1350) and a diff yoke from a old chevy 60 rear on your 60 front and eliminate the 1310 (weak point) in front. Thats what we do to our mud trucks!

I believe the carrier break is 4.10 for flange location on carrier

There also could be a problem of spring perch width on that application

Hope someone can use this info

Crash_AF

The 1008 and the aforementioned 3+3 dually should have the same 1ton perch spacing.

I know the pros/cons of the 14B/D70 argument, I'm looking to build a CUCV wrecker for moving my junk around, not a mud truck/rock buggy. I want the proper dually width more than anything with the swap.

4.10s would do me fine... a friend of mine with a 1010 needs a military front since his truck was parted before going to GL and has a 4.10 front he will trade me for mine so it would be a zero cost trade, only swap labor.

Anyway, it's still a pipe dream since the truck is on the wrong coast...

Later,
Joe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks