• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 4X4 doesn't actuate after locking/shifting

Well I suppose I need help with my truck. I have an 86 CUCV 1008 that will not actuate the 4X4 after it has been locked in and shifted. I suppose there is a vacuum line maybe or electrical relay. I have suffered 2 head injuries and I simply do not know what I used to know. I am certain this is simple. I appreciate any help I receive.

Thanks

bronconut

easy way to tell, with hubs locked in and t-case in 2wd, jack one wheel up and spin by hand, front drive shaft should spin, now put in 4wd, now try to spin by hand should not spin. also you do not need to put grease in the lockouts. good luck

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Lock in your hubs, put the truck in 4wd, then jack up either front tire leaving the other front tire on the ground you should not be able to spin the tire freely, it should move a bit but not rotate completely, if it does rotate, you may have a blown out locking hub on one side or the other in the front.

kevin-m1008

I'm thinking that with both hubs locked in and the transfer case in 4wd, the one front tire off the ground will still spin but will have some resistance due to also turning that axle side. Unless you also have a limited slip then it should be rather hard to turn.
I could be wrong on the above but that's the way my Jeeps work. I have not tried it on my M1008 but uses the same design as the Jeeps so I expect the same results.

When I need to check hubs to verify they are working is, first leave the transfer case in 2wd. lock both hubs. reach under the vehicle and turn by hand the open knuckle/axle shaft. it should move less then a 1/4" and you should feel/hear the hubs lock into place do both sides and the axles should not move anymore. if it turns much more then that then something is not right in the hubs. If that works fine then get under the vehicle and try to hand turn the front drive shaft. It should not move much ~1/4" if it does then something is not right in the pumpkin. If that works right then put it in 4wd and unlock the hubs. Then try to turn the front driveshaft by had. It should not turn much. if it does then check the transfer case.

Also if you have a Detroit Locker in the same situation you should be able to turn the tire thats up in the air if the other side is on the ground. Note:you may have to move the tire back an forth a couple times to unlock it. All of my Detroit's work this way.

YMMV

I'm thinking that with both hubs locked in and the transfer case in 4wd, the one front tire off the ground will still spin but will have some resistance due to also turning that axle side. Unless you also have a limited slip then it should be rather hard to turn.
I could be wrong on the above but that's the way my Jeeps work. I have not tried it on my M1008 but uses the same design as the Jeeps so I expect the same results.

When I need to check hubs to verify they are working is, first leave the transfer case in 2wd. lock both hubs. reach under the vehicle and turn by hand the open knuckle/axle shaft. it should move less then a 1/4" and you should feel/hear the hubs lock into place do both sides and the axles should not move anymore. if it turns much more then that then something is not right in the hubs. If that works fine then get under the vehicle and try to hand turn the front drive shaft. It should not move much ~1/4" if it does then something is not right in the pumpkin. If that works right then put it in 4wd and unlock the hubs. Then try to turn the front driveshaft by had. It should not turn much. if it does then check the transfer case.

Also if you have a Detroit Locker in the same situation you should be able to turn the tire thats up in the air if the other side is on the ground. Note:you may have to move the tire back an forth a couple times to unlock it. All of my Detroit's work this way.

YMMV

This sounds like sound information. My truck has Detroits also. Excellent! Thanks so much!

kevin-m1008

I do not think hubs fail very often unless proper maintenance is NOT performed, or the hubs are NOT turned all the way to the locked position and you put it in 4wd. This is in normal use.

In extreme use IE rock crawling or high horsepower/torque conditions. Hubs can and do fail, which is a good thing as it is much better then a axle or something in the pumpkin failing.

YMMV

91W350

These are pretty easy to diagnose. 1st, with all wheels on the ground, unlock the hubs, select four wheel drive and slide under the truck and make sure the front drive line will not spin. If you can turn it, the problem is in the transfer case.

Next, lock in the front hubs and select 2x4. You should be able to turn the front drive line by hand less than 1/2 turn, unless it has a locker. If the hubs are locked and you can turn that front drive shaft, then look at the axles where they pass through the steering knuckle and see which one is turning. The one that is turning probably has a blown locking hub.

The Dana 60 is extremely strong and very seldom will fail on the stock tires, you just about cannot over load a Dana 60 on the stock size tires. It is almost always the splines in the sliding part of the hub that break. Glen

91W350

I have had maybe 2 dozen 4x4s and have driven offroad very extensively extreme. I have never stripped a hub before or heard of stripping one. Is this a common occurance?
Almost every hub I have broken, I did it by pulling hard in reverse, like rolling a tree stump or pulling bushes, trying to drag another vehicle out of a ditch... I have since switched to trying as much as possible to pull from the rear. It was pretty slick though to use the engine weight to help get those front tires dug in good, then use the steering to skate back and forth....