• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 6" Lift: My experience

DokWatson

The crossover steering arm adapter looks to be about 2" thick, same as a steering block, I would think that it would be just as easy to break the longer bolts required to install the x-over adapter as it would be to break the bolts in a steering block unless I'm missing something. The pitman arm apears to be about the same length and the distance of the tie-rod mounting hole and center of the king pin appears to be close, so torque applied should be about the same. The 4" drop draglink seems to do pretty good, I have equal steering in both directions and it seems to have retained a similar turning radius. At $450, an ORD crossover kit is on NEXT Christmas's wish list unless something breaks before then.
Torque is NOT applied the same, the pitman arm is indexed differently. With the stock 4wd steering ALL of your torque is pushing against the driver side knuckle working against the bigger tires and steeper angles. Crossover steering changes the steering geometry, it pushes against the passenger knuckle. Think of it this way, is it harder to hold a weight with your arms extended out using muscle, or bent 90 degrees using bone structure.

ORD isn't the only kit out there. I have a Sky manufacturing kit and its plenty stout, and 75$ cheaper.

Of course, this all doesn't really matter unless you wheel your rig. If you can afford to do it wrong, by all means...

Last edited:

Cucvnut

if he is not wheeling his rig it will just suck to turn. I did it because I wheel my truck and its just much easier to turn but i also when with hydro assist steering which makes it like cheating when i turn lol

I think the CUCV section needs a sticky on who sells steering and lift parts for the trucks.

DokWatson

if he is not wheeling his rig it will just suck to turn. I did it because I wheel my truck and its just much easier to turn but i also when with hydro assist steering which makes it like cheating when i turn lol

I think the CUCV section needs a sticky on who sells steering and lift parts for the trucks.
Thats for sure. People don't realize the drop drag links and all that junk are band aids to make the steering work for lifted vehicles. Even on the street, they pull themselves to pieces.

DIY4X: Catering to those who enjoy doing it themselves.

Offroad Design - Fullsize Chevy GM 4x4 Suspensions, Parts and Performance

Sky's Off-road Design - Home

All excellent sources for getting the parts to do it RIGHT.

whatsagoodalias

Thanks Cucvfreek, I see that you understand that different people use their trucks for different purposes. Some people wheel their rigs, some people want bigger tires to cut the gearing down and for occasional offroading. My post was by no means the definitive RIGHT way to do anything but I can tell you that with my 4" drop draglink I do have a bit of bump steer, but I do have even steering in both directions and my turning radius was not significantly reduced. Is this the best setup for "true wheeling"? According to the experts, no. Does it get it done for my purposes? Yep. Thanks for the kudos guys!

Cucvnut

Alias I ran my 3/4 ton Suburban like that set up you have for like 4 years befor i sold it. was it the best no but it works. Your set up works but you might want to think about later on going cross over.

whatsagoodalias

Alias I ran my 3/4 ton Suburban like that set up you have for like 4 years befor i sold it. was it the best no but it works. Your set up works but you might want to think about later on going cross over.
Thanks man, I know people with CUCVs and civy one-tons that ran the "junk" parts for good amounts of time without much incident, glad to see that you can verify one more case. Crossover is on my long-term list, just couldn't plop down the cash just yet for the kit and a 2wd box. I like your setup, that's a sweet rig you have. That rear articulation in NUTS! [thumbzup]

Cucvnut

Thanks man. it flexed out more at Hollister back in July so much it killed my rear springs so i need to re build a M1028 set i got to use

Croatan_Kid

Granted this thread it a little old, but even if you never do crossover, you'll never notice a difference without the swaybar. As stiff as lift springs are you don't have any body roll to speak of.