• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 700R4 swap question

Dieselsmoke

Never thought I would do it, but now that I have multiple M1008s and a free 700R4 I'm gonna. So for those who have done the swap, what did you do for the gear indicator now that it has an OD spot?
Pretty sure I have everything I need ,TV cable & bracket, just wondering what to do on the gear indicator.

AJMBLAZER

Talk to Croatan Kid and mangus. They and a few others on here have done the swap. If you can find a whole truck with the 700R4 (preferably a diesel) then you have all the necessary parts right there. However be aware the 6.2L 700R4's are set up a bit differently than the SBC 700R4's.

Crash_AF

Just find any proper bodystyle Chevy truck/Suburban/Blazer in the junkyard and pull the indicator from its cluster. It is only held on by two bolts and is a direct swap.

Later,
Joe

Dieselsmoke

The donor truck was a '91 1 ton, so the dash wasn't the same. Didn't realize until today that our body style was ever offered with OD, but was fortunate enough to find one in a buddies wrecking yard. So now I'm complete, ready to swap over...now I just need time.

AJMBLAZER

It was. Half tons and some 3/4 tons got the 700R4 in the 80's and in 1991 the crew cab 1 tons of our style got a 4L80E with a remote controller.

Croatan_Kid

I never bothered with mine.

The only aggravating thing is since it was originally a 3 spd, you can't pull it manually into 1st gear and hold it there.

Mtrdrms

Did a bit of searching on here but I was wondering, what exactly is needed to do this swap in a 1008? Will a 700 from a 4x4 gas truck bolt in? what about crossmember, linkage, driveshafts? I do not have a donor truck with a diesel but I do have one with a 350 sbc.

Thanks

Andy

mangus580

Hmmm I'm not sure why you couldnt find it, as I have listed it probably 3 times.

A gas one will work, but you will need to have a tranny shop make some 'adjustments' Ideally, you would have it rebuilt to be used behind the diesel.

Also, you will still need a bracket from a diesel for the TV cable.

Croatan_Kid

It's all a direct swap except you need a different spline on the transfer case input, usually just swapping the whole transfer case is easier and cheaper.

Anyway, a 4x4 TH400 and 700R4 are the same length and the crossmember and both driveshafts work just fine. All the linkages fit in the same places and even the transmission cooler lines will work, you just gotta give them a gentle bend by hand to get them to fit up into position.

If anybody needs a good 700R4 and matching transfer case for an M1008, I just pulled mine a few weeks ago and it's only got about 10,000 miles on it. Has a problem going into reverse when it's cold, but when it warms up it's fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks