• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 alternator Ape Sh*t

Alucard-HD

Ok, I have a M1008 that i have converted to 12 Volts. New starter and new alternator, made my own glow plug system, and rewired the batteries. However, The alternator will not charge. I tested the alternator with no wires hooked up and the engine running and it tested fine. As soon as i wired it and i mean right to the battery it just puts out the same voltage as the battery. Is there any kind of resisters in there or something????? Its driving me nuts. :deadhorse:

ranchhopper

I believe there is a write up with pics in the recources here I converted two or three and they worked perfect. I think it was called the Roscommon 12 volt conversion theres color pics so wire colors are easy to decipher and it goes step by step. Maybe if you saw how they did theirs you can figure out whats wrong on yours.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And what Alternator did you use?

We missed you....

Alucard-HD

I just used the plugs were the prievus alternator was on the passenger side. its an advance auto alternator. and what do you mean you missed me lol

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
remember posting this?
Ok what part of its raining dont you understand? If it wasnt raining today i would take pics when i got home from work. If its that much of a crime to post pics or explane what i did then i wont and this trend can end. I didnt know i was going to get my wrist slapped for asking a question, and have it work the way i wanted. Oh and by the way, those other sites told me to come here. So either dont read my trends or tell the administrators of this site to have me removed.

You never did post pics, or tell us what you did. That's what I meant by, missed you.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats the problem when people rewire thier trucks. No one has an idea how it was done.

Did you make a new wiring diagram to share with us?

And what does the title have to do with your new wiring?

Cucvnut

leave it stock unless you change the motor. its a pain to wire the 24 system like the wiki says it works great if its taken care of.

Alucard-HD

Thats the problem when people rewire thier trucks. No one has an idea how it was done.

Did you make a new wiring diagram to share with us?

And what does the title have to do with your new wiring?

It has to do with my alternator not charging. and no i dont have one.

Alucard-HD

leave it stock unless you change the motor. its a pain to wire the 24 system like the wiki says it works great if its taken care of.

I would have left it alone, but the factory alternators exploded so i figured it would have been easier to convert it to 12V

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The alternator plug on the passenger side uses the 24v system.

Included in that are : the 24v fuse, Gen2 relay, GEN2 idiot light and the GEN2 diode.

Without knowing how you did your "new" wiring, we can just guess at the problem

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since he did not post this current problem on his previous thread, you guys that want to help, need to look at his previous posts and figure out what he did or was his issues. Still leaves you guessing though, he never reported back to summarize his modifications.

I would suggest he simply go to his local alternator shop and ask the shop owner to help him out.

I would really like to see a picture of an alternator that has "Blown up".

Last edited:

steved454

If you have to convert it to 12 volt use the process on this site
www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com it has been done many times on trucks that firedepartments get. I have seen many done like this and they work fine. just follow the instrustions, I plan on leaving mine the way it is until I can get no more help with the 24 volt setup.I am a fireman and vol fireman and around the 12 volt conversions all the time. I like the stock system better, but in the end whatever it takes to keep these trucks going.

mistaken1

forget it
People want to help you unfortunately they are not clairvoyant and consequently they need you share with them what you did in your 12V conversion.

It seems that you are unwilling or unable to explain/photograph what you did so no one can really help despite their sincere desire to do so.

Cucvnut

we want to help you but the way you act makes me wonder why you were told by the other sites to come here. No offense man but its a two way street if you want help you need to give us info