• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 alternator

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SteelSoldiers.

Make sure you visit the CUCV Forum and check out the CUCV FAQ Article at the top of the page. You will find alot of info there along with the Technical Manuals and Parts Manuals that you can download. Also checkout the CUCV Sticky that has alot of parts/tips/tricks.

You can't order just the alternator harness. It requires the complete engine harness.

What is wrong with yours? Do you need just the ends? You might find someone here parting out a truck that could sell you the harness or the ends.
I have repaired three or four trucks in the last year this way.

You might post some pictures of the problem

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post some pics of what you have and I will take some pics of what it is suppost to look like.

You can get a replacement alternator at the parts store for the drivers side only. They WILL NOT work on the passenger side.

New stock alternators are a special design and are hard ($$$) to come by.

One of the members here has some cores that he is selling cheap and the parts are less than $50 to rebuild them.

Here is the wiring diagram of how the alts should be hooked up.

Right click on the thumbnail and choose "Open Link in New Window"

Attachments

jwasjp

there are pics. if u need other ones let me know. in the second pic u can see that someone cut the wires. not sure if it has anything to do with the alternator.

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep. looks like some one needed a replacement alternator and took the one on your truck. Instead of removing the wires they just just them.

The easiest way to fix it is to just splice the wires. You can get the parts from just about any parts house and make them work, or find someone that is parting out a truck and have them sell/give you the ends.

I have fixed 3-4 trucks in the last year by fixing the ends. Not a hard job.

You will need to decide if you are going to use an original "Isolated Ground" alternator or an replacement alternator that will only work on the driver side (non-isolated).

You will need to replace the following wires:

Power wires
8 gauge - Black ground from the alternator ground lug to the engine block
8 gauge - Red hot wire to the 12v terminal block on the firewall

Two wire exciter plug
16 gauge - red wire to the #2plug on the alternator and the 12v terminal block
16 guage - brown wire to the #1plug on the alternator and the GEN1 bulb

Diagnostic system - not really required but nice to have wired up
18 gauge brown wire to the tach nonnection
18 gauge - black w/white strip to the ground lug.

Here are the wiring diagrams and some pictures of how it should be wired

Attachments

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
alright thanks and do you know if this alternator is isolated ground jst so i could use it on the passenger side if needed.
Store Locator | NAPA Online

Yes it is, BUT they have been know to have issues during rebuild that they are NOT isokated ground. Just make sure you use an ohm meter and test it before you leave the store. They will usually have to order them as it isn't a stock item

I beleive Hawkman here has some good cores for $25 and for $35 you can get the parts and rebuild it yourself in under an hour. He may also have the ends for the wiring.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks