• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1008 and ear plugs

welpro222

Does anybody wear ear plugs while driving on the freeway or at any high speeds? These things are loud and my phone dB app reads 90dB and over. Possible hearing damage can occur after 90dB.

welpro222

60 mph, 3.73 gearing, and 33 inch tires. I should be turning about 2300 rpms and that is less then with 4.56, stock tires, and going 50mph or about the same at 45mph.

dmetalmiki

We have a couple of those in our group. No one wears ear plugs when driving them, and their wives and or children ride in then to shows as well.

rsh4364

Is air-cleaner assembly original?How is exhaust system.? When I installed a 14x7 k&n open air-cleaner on my 1009 the noise was nearly unbearable,it also eliminated all low speed vacuum which caused crank case pressure and puking out of motor oil.Also check trans.dipstick tube clearance with firewall.Another thing I had was an unusual drone at speed and it was the oil cooler line vibrating against inner fender,sleeved with some rubber hose and all fine.Exhaust vibration against frame? I just wish I could type faster.

Last edited:

welpro222

Exhaust is stock and in great shape, original intake still in tack and added a civi intake muffler. The army rated them at 90-91db in the interior at 45 MPH, saying it was safe for troops for a short distance.

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
nope never had a problem with the blazer I have.... the 1028 is a little load but I can still talk on the phone wile driving it at 55..

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I find the CUCVs to be unpleasantly noisy at speed.
The best and cheapest sound deadening method I have found for CUCVs is foam ear plugs! I use them anytime I'm driving over about 35mph. They cost 99c and take about 15 seconds to install. Removal time for maintenance is even quicker. ;)

They dull the noise, but you can still hear what the vehicle is doing, sirens, etc.

Take every opportunity to protect your hearing!

Cheers

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 1008 is twice as loud as any 1009, maybe even 3 times as loud, it always was! I drove thousands of miles in them and almost never wore ear plus! But after all my years and now saying "What!" to everybody, I would at least wear them if you drive for any distance, if for nothing else, ear plugs let you hear the outside noises better, ie sirens and horns!!

I wouldn't advise any materials to deaden the sound, all that does is attract moisture! plus Ear plus are way cheaper!

reaper556

Hmm, not sure what all the drama is about. They don't seem that loud to me but then again I drive a 18 wheeler and lots of other large equipment on a daily basis so it just sounds like normal music to my ears to me :shrugs:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And when you get to my age, you will say "What??" a lot! ;)

And it's not drama. I started out in the Marines as infantry, then moved on to helicopters. Plenty of hearing damage as a result. Louder noises now are not just unpleasant, but can be physically painful. Ear plugs help with that

I do get some amusement nowadays by repeating back to people what I heard them say, rather than what they did say.

I say again, and it's the voice of experience - take care of your hearing.

Cheers

nyoffroad

The first thing I did was install a under hood blanket/insulator, that made a big difference. I also sprayed bedliner material on the floor (inside)of my truck, I went as high up as I could without totally removing everything like the heater box. That made a difference then I used a few rubber anti skid sheets and put them down on the floor and over the hump. ( found them laying in a truck stop) add to that some floor mats and I'm good to go except the tire noise at 65 with the windows down is annoying.