• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 and M1028 axle HELP!

jwinzlo

Ok so I don't really know much about fronts and rears, so I am here to seek someone's wisdom. I heard the difference between and M1008 and M1028 was that one had a limited slip front, and the other had a locking front. Is this true? Because I sold a set of M1028's to a boy who claims to have opened the front and it was an open differential. Is that how they come is open or is sometype of locker suppsed to be in there? Axles were original to the M1028 as far as I know

DokWatson

Its in the faq.

The M1008 has a Dana 60 front axle open and Corporate 14 bolt rear axle with 4.56 gears, detroit locker.

The M1028 has a Dana 60 front axle with limited slip and Corporate 14 bolt rear axle with 4.56 gears, detroit locker.

I would at least offer some of his money back. He's right, you sold him something not as described. I would go over and take a look... He could also be wrong.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1008 is open and the M1028 is supposed to have a trac lock which in reality is just a clutch type posi unit.

jwinzlo

So pretty much the only way you could tell if it had the LSD was actually have someone who knew what they were talking about look at the diff with the cover off. He also says that he can turn one axle forward, and the other one spins backwards. Says it shouldn't do that with the trac lok. He's sending me a few pics of the carrier, which I'm going to post up for your guys' opinion. In the mean time, soes anyone have any comparitive pics of an open vs. limited slip with the covers off?

SmokeyDod

I agree, looks like the trac-lok. If he would turn the carrier about 90 deg, you can see the opening that lets you see the discs in the clutch pak.
You don't have to remove the cover plate, just take out the filler plug and look into the hole and you can see the clutch plates if it has it. You may have to roll the truck up a little to get the correct view to the opening mentioned above.

If he locks both hubs and has both tires off ground , then both tires will turn same direction. Remember this is NOT a solid locker, so you can hold one tire and turn the other but you will feel a pretty good resistance. Hope it helps.