• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1008 at work in flood

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be careful as there is a sticker in the engine compartment that says that you should not pressure wash the motor. This means that it can't handle being submerged like what would happen in a true fording situation. I saw video of David Frankenhauser fording his M1009 in the NJ Pine Barrens. I was shocked at how deep he drove with no apparent ill effects. Still, I have been told not to forde a CUCV.

4bogginchevys

if I remember correctly I found specs on my 1008 that said fording depth 20",

If you put electric fans and a snorkel on any truck it'll do way more, my guess is you probably wont go above the door sill though!

aebiv

Plus make sure the starter is sealed up, and the connections have water proof connectors... Vent tubes for the axles are extended... etc... Lotta little things help :wink:

Josh

well i remember last december, or the decemeber before that we got nailed with massive flooding, closed I5 for a week, figured it was possable it was your truck.

and if my mushroom about the same hight as the windows, id have no issue driving my truck threw that.

wsucougarx

Yah, looks like we're fixin' to have similiar conditions here once again. It has been raining all day (no surprise here) but it has really been coming down. Aberdeen is bracing for some serious flooding at noon today. High winds, high tide, and a ton of rain will make for a very soggy day.

Josh

man i remember driving up to Mt. Hood last year about 20 minutes before the slide that took out hwy 26 and went up old barlow road, some of the "puddles" i was going threw were above the headlights in my landcruiser, wish i had my deuce back then.

nhdiesel

O.K., not MVs, but here are a couple of my old Toyota...first pic was me getting deeper than I wanted (it should have been deepest in the middle, and not keep getting deeper all the way to the end!) First shot is before the snorkel, 2nd pic is after I installed a snorkel (and I did test it...worked great!):

1TOYOTA5.JPG5.JPG

And my friend testing his snorkel the day after we installed it:
1SAMMY15.JPG

Almost everything I own used to get a snorkel, I never knew when I was going to end up somewhere I shouldn't be!

As for the CUCV and pressure washing: the reason they say not to pressure wash is because the high pressure can push the water past seals and get in where it shouldn't be. There is much less chance of that when you are just fording deep water, because as long as you are going slow, there is no real pressure. If you know you are going to be using it in deep water, crawl under the truck and check all vent tubes- everything with fluids has one- both axles, the transmission, and transfer case. Check to see if there are real vent hoses running from them, and if so, where do those hoses run? You want to make sure they are extended high enough to stay above the water. If there are just vent caps anywhere, remove them and install a barbed fitting and run a hose.

If you want to get really creative, you can run all of the vent hoses to one common hose, then put a fitting on the exhaust and attach the hose to that. Make sure you use a high temp. hose for the first couple feet because of the heat. The point is that the exhaust will add a very small amount of pressure to all of the components, and help keep any water from coming past the seals. I've done this before and it works great. No actual exhaust gasses get to the components, because they are sealed on the other end...the exhaust doesn't actually flow through the hoses.

If you aren't worried about pressurizing the parts, just run the hose to the air cleaner. Unfortunately this will create a small vacuum inside the components, but its still better than letting water into the vent hose. Or you could run the hose into the passenger compartment and up one of the pillars.

Jim

Jim

Lorax

Sorry, I don't have any more pictures of the flood. Spending time behind the wheel, trying to see the road, at night, when it's covered in a couple feet of water, in the driving rain and wind. The deuce in that picture is a city vehicle that took a turn a little too tight and ran into a ditch. I tried pulling it back using my deuce's winch, but that only resulted in dragging my deuce toward the stuck one. There was no anchor point behind my deuce to attach to. That and, cough cough, the bolt instead of a shear pin in the winch made for a short winching operation. No damage done to the winch. The above picture was taken after the tide had dropped a little. It was waist deep, up to the driver's side headlight with the angle the deuce was leaning in the ditch. These engines run in deep crud. The deuce was pushing water out from the hood gaps, and still running.

After failing to pull the city's deuce out with my deuce, I took their place and carried out the elderly couple that needed evacuating. Many, many, missions like that over a 3 day period. The storm staying put made for 2 or 3 high tides, each one causing flooding over and over.

My 813 or 814 would have done good too, but they were parked above the flooding, and staying there. Bad enough driving the deuce in that salt water. The 'ol girl got a good hosing off from the fire dept fire hose afterward, then another hand washing at home, then the winch cable was unwound and cleaned and regreased and rewound good and tight. Next is time to drain and refill the axles and couple times.

These deuces proved their abilities last weekend.

cruzinz28

Lorax -
I arrived at Portsmouth on Thursday around noon to pick up some stuff from GL to find the place under water everywhere. I was lucky that Ray with DRMO came out on Friday morning after we spent the night at a local hotel to load out my stuff even with the flooding and lack of power. First hand experiance, the storm put a hurting on that area. I had my 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 with 6" of lift and 37" tires with my car trailer towing behind. Trying to find a hotel my father and I forded a back street where the trailer was almost under water. Awesome that you were able to help with your Deuce!!! We saw on the news were one of the local fire departments was getting people out with a Red 5 Ton too. Thanks fro the picture!!

- Jesse