• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Bobbed?

35Z-SGM

Has anyone ever bobbed a M1008? I just purchased a parts vehicle that has a good frame and drivetrain and was thinking about shortening it to the length of a M1009. Ever been done? Obstacles to prevent this?
Your response is appreciated.
Thanks!

Barrman

While the 1 ton truck frame is supposedly a hair thicker than the M1009 frame. Once you are done doing surgery, it might not end up stronger or straighter. I like the suggestion above. Get a M1009 or a short box GM truck and just transfer over all the good M1008 items. Lots easier and probably a better end result.

Having written all of that to dissuade you. Go for it. 27 years ago I had my own classic car restoration business and there was a flood cutting me off from town and my customers off from me. I had a 1937 Packard 120 coupe shell that had been burned after a hard life drag racing, a 1978 El Camino with a bad v6 in it and the engine/transmission from a 1962 Corvette. Guess how I wisely spent my time? Packard on the El Camino frame and Corvette drive line in the Packard.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back in the 80s the Air Force flightlines were crawling with Ford F-350 bobtail trucks. They were used to pull maintenance stands, lox carts, and other AGE around. I always wanted to get my hands on one and take the heavy back end off to put a tiny pickup bed on.

They were replaced in the 90s (I think) with Jeep bobtails, and during the Gulf War the maint guys would drive them around the sandbox flightlines with the doors and sometimes roof off. I spotted one of those on craigslist about 12 years ago- guy had completely gone through it and made a little stake-side truck with the diesel engine still in it.

Then it was F-350s again and some of those show up from time to time on the auctions.

How does that short wheelbase ride on the freeway FLU?

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How does that short wheelbase ride on the freeway FLU?
I would imagine that without any weight in the rear to speak of, freeway expansion joints could be fairly brutal. With some weight (a trailer) back there it'd probably be much like a stiffly sprung K-5 Blazer.
This ones' wheel base is a little longer than a Blazer, because it was getting cramped for work space when getting in under the cab, and the front of the rear spring hangers dictated the other end of what could easily be cut out. Overall it may be shorter as the frame was lopped off behind the rear spring hangers. A total of 31 inches was removed.

If Part II ever happens, it'll get air suspension. Not for ride quality purposes, but to make it quicker to couple and un-couple trailers.
But I can't really answer your question, Mainsail, as the nearest freeway is a long ways from here. And I have no desire to drive on it, especially in a 6.2 "powered" vehicle with 4.56 gears.

sschaefer3

Well I cut 2' off

P1010668.jpg

I should clarify. 2' from the end of the rear bumper. basically I lost the rear bumper, the axle is only moved forward 2". Flat bed is still as long as stock, just no tail gate.

Last edited:

Skinny

What do you want to do with it? If you want bigger tires and offroad capability it will probably pay dividends to shorten it up. You gain everywhere. If its for general use you get into too short of a wheelbase to haul, stop, or carry anything which makes it useless. No one is swapping in one ton drivelines to Blazers to make them workhorses.

I believe the K30 chassis not only has a much taller sectional height in the center of the chassis but also the wall thickness of the metal is greater then a Blazer or other short wheelbase truck. Even the Burbs don't have that beefy of a chassis in the K20/C20 variety. I think if you shorten right with a diagonal cut to extend the weld surface and fishplate it correctly (maybe even box it up), it will probably be perfectly fine. I'm assuming you have that ability. I don't think I would tackle that as a novice fabricator without some help.

sweetk30

i have a civi k30 i bobbed down due to rusted rear frame rails .

its now around 110" wb and it rides on light duty 3/4 ton 56" rear springs not stock k30 springs . its great for plow duty with balast weight but i dont care for it this short . flatbed is 5ft long . took 3ft off it .

you can see were the front hanger use to be over the axle . and not even a short bed tank will fit the frame now . had to relocate into the toolbox.

Attachments

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you want to do with it? If you want bigger tires and offroad capability it will probably pay dividends to shorten it up. You gain everywhere. If its for general use you get into too short of a wheelbase to haul, stop, or carry anything which makes it useless. No one is swapping in one ton drivelines to Blazers to make them workhorses.
Useless can be a relative term. Take an over the road tractor running bobtail, for example. It can't haul anything other than the trailers it was designed to pull, doesn't stop worth a **** (especially the older ones without front brakes), and the ride is not good even with air suspension.
Yet most everything we own has been brought by a tractor trailer, so while the tractor is somewhat useless by itself, it's perfect for pulling semi trailers.

In a way, my shortened 1008 is like a miniature over the road tractor. Not good for "general use", as you put it, but much, much better suited for the trailer pulling duty it was modified to do. So, yes, it all depends on what the goal is.

It was very close that the M1009 ended up in this trailer pulling role. It was already short and had the mechanical upgrades, but it sold before the 1008 did. In retrospect, that was a good thing. The Blazer's frame probably wouldn't have liked its new job.

Overall, I suppose that it's like any four wheel drive that gets modified; the more trail worthy it becomes, the less pavement friendly it tends to get.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks