• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Broke another Transfer Case Adapter

lincolntwilliams

I have about 500 miles on this one. From what I've read it could be a few things. A bent read drive shaft? Mine has a pretty good dent in it. No braces on the transfer case. Worn out front shaft U joints. I have had it in 4wd twice in my yard pulling out stumps, that were no big deal.

The truck also runs down the rode a little doglegged. I plan on looking at the rear spring center bolts/put a tape on the axles when I lift it soon.

Anything else that could be making me break adapters or running down the road a little sideways? Are they related?

cliffyp

Even if your dented driveshaft isn't the culprit in this case, I would definitely have it balanced if possible or replaced. Off balanced shaft will beat the snot out of your transfer case and will break things.

Crash_AF

x2 on the bent driveshaft... if it's bent, at high speeds it's bouncing like a jumprope under the truck and WILL break things. I would also take wheelbase measurements on both sides to see if they match. Dogtracking can be caused by several different things, but that's a good place to start.

Later

MarcusOReallyus

Even if your dented driveshaft isn't the culprit in this case, I would definitely have it balanced if possible or replaced. Off balanced shaft will beat the snot out of your transfer case and will break things.

Yep. I found this out the hard way. Destroyed a transmission on my civvyChevy due to a dented driveshaft. If it's dented, it's unbalanced.

o1951

"The truck also runs down the rode a little doglegged." Do you know if it has been hit? Running down the road doglegged can be a bent frame. Since it is only an M1008, any alignment shop can get it on the rack and do a quick check.

61sleepercab

Check drive shaft, I had a IHC truck with a unbalanced drive shaft that at High RPM would vibrate you out of the cab. If you had dent on shaft you are probably bent also. It is shaking the daylights out the adapter trying to hold the transfer still. Check you mounts also. Mark

lincolntwilliams

At around 55 it has a harmonic drone that you can feel, but not shaking me out of the cab.

I don't think it has been hit, the frame looks straight enough but my eyes might not know what to look for. Im going to put a tape on it see what the story is. If I can't figure it out ill take a trip to a alignment shop. Thanks.

Crash_AF

To check for frame squareness, measure from crossmember to crossmember in an X going from opposite corners. It's not easy to do on the ground, but certainly possible. You really only need to check in two or three places to tell.

Later

nyoffroad

To check for frame squareness, measure from crossmember to crossmember in an X going from opposite corners. It's not easy to do on the ground, but certainly possible. You really only need to check in two or three places to tell.

Later
You can also use a long string and a tape measure, take the end of the string and tie to the front bumper then angle it down and around the leading edge of one of the front tires (the wheels need to be straight) and with the string centered on the tire go around the truck keeping the string in the center of each of the tires and tight.
Sounds kinda nuts but what you are doing is creating a datum line.
What you will end up with is a sring strecthed tightly around all four wheels and bisecting the wheel in the center.
Now if the truck has the same "track" or axle length and everything is undamaged and where it should be then the string will touch the front AND back of all four tires. Get where I'm going????
if the track is off, like the front axle is wider (IIRC commen)the the string will touch the front edge of the front tires and the rear edge of the back tires. Don't worry, you can still work with it thats why you have the tape measure. Measure from side to side and it should be EXACT. If not start looking for problems, assuming your wheels aren't bent, I'd check em again then start with rear spring hangers/bushings/center bolts ect.

Hope this helps! It took longer for me to type this than it would've to do it myself! :)