• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1008 can not figure out light issues

texacucv

Hello y'all be easy on me this is my first post been on this site for awhile just never signed up until now lazy I know sorry lol. I have read the tm's and have the switches in the correct spot(far as i can see lights turn on kinda) also have the horn fuse out haven't gotten to that problem but theres deff a problem. A little history on the truck i bought it from a salvage yard for dirt cheap traded some things with 5,255 miles on her. The back glass has been out for awhile and it's pretty dirty but other than that untouched or so I thought, it wasn't running. Got it back to my shop simple oil change, fuel filter and had the nose on the starter repaired, it was broke off right at the nose cone battery, and it fired right up and purred like a kitten. After the joy of it running i noticed the gen2 light, dash lights, wait to start, water in fuel, and voltmeter aren't working. Then I turned on the lights, this is where it gets good ,headlights turned out but no running lights, blinkers or brake lights but reverse lights work. Shortly after seeing that I went and checked grounds and cleaned as I was doing that I found the ground for the passenger headlight broken and I fixed it and a new headlight. After this I had headlights, running lights and driver blinkers working as they should be. But when I turn on the passenger side blinker with headlights on everything blinks. When the headlights are off the driver blinker works good but with the passenger blinker turned on w/o headlights only the front blinks. So after this I doubled checked and cleaned grounds at the back while doing this i started seeing smoke from my fuse block :( Then I noticed the headlight fuse was really melted to the point someone took apart the fuse block and ran a separated fuse link off to the side of the fuse bloc. I took that apart and it looked like a good repair but now it keeps getting the fuse really hot(in the separate holder) and when I step on the brakes that pops the headlight fuse and no brake lights. Any help would be a huge help. I'm stumped at this one. I've been checking things with my voltmeter till I never want to see a voltmeter again. Also theres no black out lights up front due to no front bumper and the rears have been cut other than the ground wire I did not mess with this circuit. The parts I have replaced are the headlight switch and all new fuses. I also took apart the dash and cleaned everything. I also checked the circuit board for the dash with my voltmeter with the bulb sockets installed to make sure there was no break in the circuit and I still have the same lights out. Truck also has a new blinker switch. Also have a headlight relay harness from lmc truck on order.

texacucv

Ok just in case it will help any one on here i fixed my light issue i had a tiny spot on the power wire for the headlights rubbing on the body when i bolted the fuse block back up. Glad i found it crazy how such a small spot could cause such an issue. I did some more testing and tried to read the diagrams still no gen2 light and no power to the exciter wire at the alternator. Also no voltmeter Ive replaced the relays for both. Still do not have a wait to start or water in fuel light either. I can hear the glow plugs cycle and the lights dim as well.

riggermedic

Did you check the bottom middle 10 amp fuse? It controls the 24 volt gauge. There is an awesome fuse layout diagram in the Cucv stickies

texacucv

Yes sir I did when I got the truck I replaced all fuses, headlight switch, blinker switch, gen2 relay and voltmeter relay all new bulbs and cleaned all the grounds I could find as well as took the fuse block apart and cleaned it. Also took dash apart and replaced lights and checked with voltmeter and still very few of my dash lights work

texacucv

Also today my gp relay under the hood chattered almost made a buzzing sound my passenger alt is not charging due to no gen2 light. I put new battery's in as well could a low voltage is cause the relay to do that or is my gp card going out?

riggermedic

Sounds like you have one **** of a gremlin living under your hood, or maybe a family of them. Give it some time and the experts will start to chime in. How new are your batteries and do you have the GP resistor bypass in place?

texacucv

That I do bud deff giving me a hard time. I'm pretty sure there's no gp resister bypass in place. Batterys are about 5 days old. But I've been having them on due to trying to figure the lights out

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the gen2 light issue also.

Traced problem to main plug in back of instrument cluster.
The copper tab for that gen wire wasn't making contact.

Adjusted tab and recleaned contacts and now gen2 works like it should.

Not sure about your other lights.

texacucv

Thanks tinstar I got a chance to work on it some today. I have power to the voltmeter the gauge is just not showing it had to clean the connector at the relay again bad gauge now. I have most the dash apart and tested the contacts at the back of the circuit board deal on the back of the cluster i am getting 24.6 volts to the little copper wire that powers the gen2 light. That seems like thats not right but dont have alot of knowledge with these 24v systems the light is still not coming on. Ive cleaned everything as well as put in a known good light socket and bulb any ideas? still no power to exciter wire for gen2

texacucv

ok I think I am getting somewhere but I need a fresh set of eyes. Ive seen the diagram i need on here and Ive tried looking for it in the TMs but I'm missing it. I did figure out that 24 volts to the gen2 light is correct so I'm that much closer. So the light has power now it just needs a ground which should be provided by the relay correct? Also i have no ground at the ground wire for the voltmeter which is also provided by the relay? I seen on a diagram that there is a fusible link possibly that powers both those relays and possibly the pink wire to the water in fuel light which also doesn't work. Am I getting on the right track or do i have to many wiring diagrams getting fused in my brain lol.

texacucv

ok got it traced down to the pink/blk wires that power both the relays for gen2 and voltmeter but cant find in the diagram if theres a fusable link thats powering the wire