• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 charging

JeremiahAK907

Having issues with my m1008 I'm wanting to convert to 12 volt. There is a draw from God knows what that slowly kills my battery I only have one battery set up Manuel glow plug set up already the resistor bank already taken out. The passenger side alt has a blown pig tail. So I'm thinking that's why it's not charging but I bought this thing how it is so who knows any help wool be appreciated I'm pretty sure the starter is a 12 volt. I hooked up 2 batteries and started it and the starter spun crazy fast. Just trying to figure out the bugs and finish the what seemed to be stated conversion thanks.

PJL

Read the roscommon conversion pdf I attached. Double check everything. Problem with a partial conversion is not knowing what is what. Like the starter. You need to get the part number off it and check. There are to many variables to accurately diagnose this over the internet. View attachment nn10.pdf

JeremiahAK907

Thanks I've seen this before and I've tried to decipher it In accordance to how my truck is hooked up and still having hard time seeing what's what. Pretty confusing, pretty lost

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about making it 24v again like original? Like it left the factory.
Take all the unknowns out.

Its a a good system once you get past the learning curve of it.

JeremiahAK907

I wouldn't even know where to start to get it back to 24 also I think one of the alternators is fried. Only the gen 1 light comes on goes off as it should which would mean the dummie light circuit is complete which would mean it's charging it I have no gen 2 light tried switching gen 1s bulb in cause I know it works ands still nothing. I have a feeling this has something do with the gremlins of this truck. it's obviously not just drains my battery little by little every start up. I just got this thing and already wanna burn it to the ground lol

Last edited:

PJL

Get the part number off the starter and see if it's 12 or 24 volts. Then we will walk you through the conversion. If it is a 12 and you have one good alternator you have all the major parts.

JeremiahAK907

So found out it's a 12 volt starter guys. Another question can the alternators be swapped for each side? Driver side has a snapped power bolt and the passenger alt has a blown pig tail I was gonna take the pig tail from the passenger side and use it on the driver side one but are the alt interchangeable ? Can you just flip em?