• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 cracked head gaskets, runs fine, fix? Or engine swap?

2INSANE

Very helpful! It does not have a turbo that I am aware of. I think we are going to take to to another diesel shop for a second opinion and thank you for the advice and nice words about the truck! After we get it looked at again I will probably follow up with the findings
What are the problems your truck is having?

Kishmael07

What are the problems your truck is having?
Possible cracked heads or head gaskets bad. Not 100% sure as there is no smoke coming from the exhaust. The truck did not have a thermostat when we bought it. So when we had one put in the mechanic said it was "boiling" and that it probably had an issue with the heads. We had him take the thermostat back out at that point. I think we are going to get a second opinion before we make a decision. It runs fine without any issues and starts up no problem. It's at the radiator shop right now getting heater core and thermostat put in and some other things. Once we get it back maybe we can do other tests to see if all signs point to problems with the heads.

2INSANE

Possible cracked heads or head gaskets bad. Not 100% sure as there is no smoke coming from the exhaust. The truck did not have a thermostat when we bought it. So when we had one put in the mechanic said it was "boiling" and that it probably had an issue with the heads. We had him take the thermostat back out at that point. I think we are going to get a second opinion before we make a decision. It runs fine without any issues and starts up no problem. It's at the radiator shop right now getting heater core and thermostat put in and some other things. Once we get it back maybe we can do other tests to see if all signs point to problems with the heads.
What temperature did the motor get to on the gauge with the thermostat installed?

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It really does start to sound like that mechanic was trying to trick you into selling it. Once you get it back, drive it and look for symptoms mentioned above.

Judging by that one picture the previous owner probably sold it at a loss. It does LOOK like he spent a lot of time and money on it. I probably would've paid 10k for it if it's every bit as mint as it looks in that picture. Do you have more? And what kind of work has he done on the truck?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Where in Kentucky are you located? Maybe me or someone near by can swing by for a diagnosis.

The green coolant is the normal Walmart stuff. Walmart uses clear type now but it's the same low glycol. Get the regular strength and use distilled water to equal it out. 1 gal of antifreeze and 1 gal of distilled water is $12 compared to 2 gals of 50/50 is $22

It's a one day repair job if it's replacing both heads.

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steel Soldiers! You have a terrific looking truck there. The advice above to read the TMs (technical manuals) is excellent, because it will give you and your husband a much better understanding of how your truck works. Even if you hire a mechanic to do the work, you won't be going in blind. They are available for free download at the top of the home page. In my opinion, if Simp5782 or another qualified member is willing to come and take a look at your problem, that would be your ideal solution. Good luck to you! I look forward to hearing how it all works out.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome! It really seems to be a turn key truck. It's actually really nice without any smoke coming from exhaust. The only person that told us that it had the problem for sure was the diesel mechanic who kept wanting to buy it. It runs like a top and starts up and drove interstate home from buying it for 3+ hours without an issue. The other shop (radiator shop) said there was the stop leak substance found which made them think possibly...going to take to another diesel shop and pray the other guy was wrong but have a feeling he was right given that a lot of these have this issue (apparently)
Please excuse me, but have I missed something? Is there really anything wrong with this truck, other than the first mechanic saying that, ahem, something was wrong with it? And then in the same breath he wanted to buy it? C'mon, that is the oldest trick in the book. My advice is to download the Technical Manuals (a.k.a. TM's) free from this site, read them and learn about your truck. Then check all fluids to make sure they are at specified levels, and enjoy the ride! There is no way I would start tearing things apart just to be tearing them apart. Not sure where you are located in Kentucky, but I am in Paris just north of Lexington, and if you will drive it here I will be glad to check it over for free. I have no secret motive to buy your truck because I already have one which I would not trade for any truck on the planet. And I sure will not suggest unnecessary repair because I don't do repair. Just willing to help out if I can.

Hope this helps.

Kishmael07

Please excuse me, but have I missed something? Is there really anything wrong with this truck, other than the first mechanic saying that, ahem, something was wrong with it? And then in the same breath he wanted to buy it? C'mon, that is the oldest trick in the book. My advice is to download the Technical Manuals (a.k.a. TM's) free from this site, read them and learn about your truck. Then check all fluids to make sure they are at specified levels, and enjoy the ride! There is no way I would start tearing things apart just to be tearing them apart. Not sure where you are located in Kentucky, but I am in Paris just north of Lexington, and if you will drive it here I will be glad to check it over for free. I have no secret motive to buy your truck because I already have one which I would not trade for any truck on the planet. And I sure will not suggest unnecessary repair because I don't do repair. Just willing to help out if I can.

Hope this helps.
No joke that's where my husband is from and we live in Gtown! That would be great if we could get some answers by someone close who actually knows these trucks! Thank you so much for offering. The truck is in the shop right now getting some work done but maybe once it gets pretty out we can meet up! Thank you again!

Kishmael07

Welcome to Steel Soldiers! You have a terrific looking truck there. The advice above to read the TMs (technical manuals) is excellent, because it will give you and your husband a much better understanding of how your truck works. Even if you hire a mechanic to do the work, you won't be going in blind. They are available for free download at the top of the home page. In my opinion, if Simp5782 or another qualified member is willing to come and take a look at your problem, that would be your ideal solution. Good luck to you! I look forward to hearing how it all works out.
Thank you! You all have been a great help. We will have to read up on the TMs . It would help us to know more about it so shops can't pull one over on us just to get more money. I know a lot aren't like that and I am not saying that guy was but its hard to trust all mechanics. (Unfortunately)

Kishmael07

It really does start to sound like that mechanic was trying to trick you into selling it. Once you get it back, drive it and look for symptoms mentioned above.

Judging by that one picture the previous owner probably sold it at a loss. It does LOOK like he spent a lot of time and money on it. I probably would've paid 10k for it if it's every bit as mint as it looks in that picture. Do you have more? And what kind of work has he done on the truck?
Thank you! Once we get the truck back I could take more pictures of it. I'd like to know if it is worth what we paid. My husband had seen these vehicles before but I don't believe I had ever seen one and when I laid eyes on it I fell in love lol 😅

Kishmael07

Where in Kentucky are you located? Maybe me or someone near by can swing by for a diagnosis.

The green coolant is the normal Walmart stuff. Walmart uses clear type now but it's the same low glycol. Get the regular strength and use distilled water to equal it out. 1 gal of antifreeze and 1 gal of distilled water is $12 compared to 2 gals of 50/50 is $22

It's a one day repair job if it's replacing both heads.

Thank you so much! I think we live about 6 hours away from Memphis. How far is Memphis from Gatlinburg? We travel there ever so often. Every one on this thread has been so helpful! Can't thank you guys enough for the info!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thank you so much! I think we live about 6 hours away from Memphis. How far is Memphis from Gatlinburg? We travel there ever so often. Every one on this thread has been so helpful! Can't thank you guys enough for the info!
I travel all over so you are in the Lexington area or that general side of ky

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No joke that's where my husband is from and we live in Gtown! That would be great if we could get some answers by someone close who actually knows these trucks! Thank you so much for offering. The truck is in the shop right now getting some work done but maybe once it gets pretty out we can meet up! Thank you again!
You can click my name (Sharecropper) and start a private conversation. Hit me up and I’ll give you all my contact information to schedule a time for y’all to drive the truck over to Paris. It will be helpful to know more about what was done to your truck before you got it. Is the seller a current or past member of Steel Soldiers?

cucvrus

Let me chime in on my experience with head gaskets on CUCV's. I have changed many. I changed them because they were bad and I changed them for something to do because I was bored. Truth be told I never pulled an original set of heads and found a perfect head and head gasket. I pulled them and found rusty weak compression seals and cracked heads. Cracked heads are not an unusual thing on diesel's. I send al my heads to a competent automotive machine shop and have them gone over and checked thoroughly. I had a few that ran perfect with head gaskets weak or leaking. One in general was a 1984 M1009 that ran well and would hold massive pressure in the cooling system and slowly push the coolant into the overflow tank when I parked it. I was busy and had to live with it. I would simply un bolt the over flow bottle and dump it back in the radiator. I seldom added any coolant but would if needed. I ran it like that 2 years. Another thing with it was I would lose heat at highway speed and it was fine in city traffic. It never over heated and always had a very hard upper hose. I was concerned with the pressure so I double clamped the hoses. Not the right fix but a band aid till I could work on it. Spring 2015 on a cold morning I was driving to town and noticed a steam trail in my mirror. It was coming from the left tail pipe. I knew at that time the coolant was in the combustion chambers or just 1. It ran fine but I knew I needed to park it. This is what I found and the thread shows my fix. CUCV head gasket / head/ or change engine survey | SteelSoldiers What started as an engine repair turned into a total vehicle transformation.
CUCV head gasket / head/ or change engine survey | SteelSoldiers
Good Luck with your repairs and no miracle mystery serum in a bottle is going to fix the issue. It will just add material and deposit it into the radiator and heater core. Fix it correctly the first time no hack job and drive on with your problem in the rear view mirror. Be Safe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks