• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 cranked fine and then stopped.

cjkeeliii

Hey guys,

I'm sure this has already been addressed, but I can't figure how to word the search. My m1008 cranked fine just now, but the RPM dropped a couple of times and then the engine quit. I'm getting plenty of fuel flow at the bleeder valve, the truck turns over fine, new glow plugs, air filter, and the fuel filter is about 6 months old. I remeber something I read here once about a stuck detent ball somewhere on the engine. Is anybody familiar with that or could I have a fuel pump or injector pump issue? I don't want to clog up the forum with this post, so if anyone can direct me to past threads I'll go there.

Thanks

CCATLETT1984

be sure you have power to the PINK wire on the top of the injector pump with the key in the run position.

Are you getting any white smoke from the exhaust pipes? (white smoke would be raw fuel)

cjkeeliii

no white smoke from the pipes. how do I check for power at the pink wire? I just put some injector cleaner through the tank on the last tank of diesel; could that be the problem? the fuel guage on this truck is off, consequently, I have run out of diesel before and the RPM runs high when that happens. could the fuel pump be bad even though I'm getting a strong flow at the bleeder valve?

beetle

I had the same problem with mine. I tried checking everything from the tank to the cylinders. I should have started at the cylinders. Take a couple of your injector lines off at the injectors. Have someone crank the engine while you watch the end of these lines. If little or no fuel is coming out, your injector pump might be bad .Thats what was wrong with mine.I replaced it with a rebuilt pump & it has run great ever since. Good luck. Beetle

CCATLETT1984

pull the pink wire, turn the key to run. then when you put the pink wire back on the spade connector, you should hear a click. If you dont then check with a multimeter that you do have voltage on that wire. if you have voltage, the fuel shutoff solenoid inside the cover of the IP is bad/ or stuck.

cjkeeliii

I tried the pink wire and I heard the click. Beetle, when you say take the lines off at the injectors, do you mean the metal line or the two black rubber lines? Also, I had the glow plugs disconnected in preparation to try and crank with ether and when I turned the key to check the pink wire the glow plug card cycled continuously until I turned off the key and re-attached the glow plug wires. Is that normal?

CCATLETT1984

yeah thats normal. you need to crack one of the nuts at the end of the metal lines, not the rubber line. dont stand in the way of it while cranking, as fuel could be injected under your skin. (very, very bad thing) If you have fuel, I would then start checking the glow plugs. do a quick search for how to test them.

beaubeau

Disconnect the Metal lines and crank the Engine. fuel should spray out if pump is good!. Be sure U have plenty of fuel going to the pump First.do U have fuel comming out from the fuel filter?Good luck, Phil

CCATLETT1984

beaubeau said:
Disconnect the Metal lines and crank the Engine. fuel should spray out if pump is good!. Be sure U have plenty of fuel going to the pump First.do U have fuel comming out from the fuel filter?Good luck, Phil
he has fuel at the filter, only do one line, no sense in doing all of them, when one will tell you. easiest is the front drivers side, as its got nothing in the way.

beaubeau

Have U had this running, or did U just get it? Make sure U have Clean fuel and no water. If it was running and stalled, it should not be the Glo plugs. It sounds like it could be a loss of fuel or bad fuel. Phil

cjkeeliii

Yep, I've a good solid stream with no air from the filter to the passenger fender. The truck has run out of fuel before and that stream of fuel will sputter be full of air. My remedy for that problem has been to disconnect the glow plugs and turn the engine over until I get a good stream of fuel. I then give the breather a very, very, very, very small shot of ether, wait about two minutes and turn the engine over.

cjkeeliii

This truck is my daily driver and has always been reliable, (except for the fuel guage). I've noticed that when the fuel is low and I apply the brakes hard it causes the truck to catch air. My fuel tank is 1/2 full with diesel I just bought from a store with high fuel turnover at the pumps. I'm wondering if that bottle of injector cleaner cleaned something that was best left dirty.

beaubeau

If U have fuel at the injectors and u have air, it should run!! Have U used enough Either when u tried that? I had a 6.2 with bad Glo plugs and I had to start it with Starter fuel until I got around to repairing it.

cjkeeliii

I just tried cranking the truck with ether--small shot and then waited about 5 min-- for about 5 minutes with no luck. I then re-connected the GP's and the truck cranked but idled extremely high, so there must have still been ether in the system. I immediately shut the truck down--it only idled about 1/4 of a second before I knew something was wrong. Maybe there's no damage. At any rate, I'll now try to disconnect one of the injector lines.

cjkeeliii

I hpoe you're right--but this idle sounded more intense than an air-in-the line type idle. I just checked the glow plugs and they aren't melted or swollen but the tips on about half of them are deformed by about .01". Is that normal wear and tear? The GP's are about six months old. Still working on the injector line.

cjkeeliii

I got the truck cranked and it's idling now. I cranked it again with the glow plugs hooked up and it idled extremely high again and I shut it down. I then took the air filter out of the breather assembly and tried again. The truck cranked without a high idle: maybe there was residual ether in the air filter? Usually, when the truck runs out of fuel it is hot when I use the ether: this time the truck was cold when I used ether. If this happens again when the engine is cold, I may disconnect the glow plugs and use a lot of ether until the engine cranks. I never did disconnect the injector line but the truck is getting air from somewhere other than a low fuel tank. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your help, I now have some ideas about where the problem may lie. Now, I'm going to drive it around so that it can strand me about five miles from the house. :lol:

CCATLETT1984

you should ALWAYS disconnect the glow plugs when you have to use ether. and a lot is not needed, a quick 1/2 second shot in each side of the intake is more than suffecient.

to disconnect the plugs, just pull the blue wire off of the small spade on the glow plug relay.