• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 cranks but wont stay running ANY IDEAS Truck has been sitting for a year

Well everyone any ideas,First let me tell ya what i have done to the 1986 Army M1008 (Aka Jolly Green Giant).Mind you this truck has been sitting up for over a year just to give a heads up.Truck Cranks but will not stay running and when i first cranked it up LOTS OF WHITE SMOKE Prior owner did a really weird concoction of who knows what so i drained the tank,however when i first cranked it it was with the original filter so im sure what ever was in the filter was what caused some of the white smoke,It high reved and then died.only thing it does now is crank and shut off.

#1 (2) Good batteries (fully charged)
#2 (1) Brand NEW GEAR REDUCTION STARTER(2 new Starter bolts 15544950 and new gear reduction starter bracket 23502257
#3 (1) Doghead Relay Conversion (currently works great )
#4 (1) Eight Brand New 60G Glow plugs and Gp solenoid ( all work )
#5 (1) Done away with GP Resistor on the firewall (no longer in the Loop) Did 12v Conversion (i know they are already 12 volt) It works though :]
#6 (1) Drained tank of old fuel added 7 gallons of new diesel
#7 (1) Changed Fuel Filter and oil filter and did an oil change.
#8 (1) Removed Dash cluster replaced all bulbs and cleaned all connections.(Currently No issues with dash lights Gen 1 and Gen 2 lights all work)

With that being said truck cranks but will not stay running unless i keep my foot on the accelerator pedal,i read the TM's and i didnt see anything really pertaining to the situation so any insight. Per the tm's i saw to test the red wire at the Ip pump and i was getting about 10 Volts the high rev(cold solenoid was getting 12volts) Thanks everyone.:]

Attachments

Last edited:

richingalveston

many possable issues: manuel fuel pump is bad, IP is bad, fuel filter is clogged, sock in fuel tank is clogged. Air in fuel system. check to see if you are getting fuel to the IP. IF not check the filter, fuel pump and then to the tank. If you have fuel at the IP then bleed air from system if still not running then you may have an IP problem.

you definately have a fuel problem.

many possable issues: manuel fuel pump is bad, IP is bad, fuel filter is clogged, sock in fuel tank is clogged. Air in fuel system. check to see if you are getting fuel to the IP. IF not check the filter, fuel pump and then to the tank. If you have fuel at the IP then bleed air from system if still not running then you may have an IP problem.

you definately have a fuel problem.
Thanks for the insight,I went thru everything i normally do on my other m1008.Im getting fuel up to the filter base and the truck did run though it was rough and high reved when it did it.I changed the filter thats when i started having the problems persay.Which line is the main feed for the ip (i Feel stupid for askin Hahah ) thanks again for the info.

richingalveston

with that info it sounds like you have air in the system. my old 1009 had a similar issue, it would run at idle but nothing more. turned out to be the mechanical pump was only pumping about 10% of the fuel it should have, thus I got fuel to the filter and thus I thought it was good but it did not deliver enough for the IP to work. Make sure you are getting good fuel presure between the pump through the filter and to the IP. IF it is air and you can get the truck to run at idle then all you should have to do is go through the injectors one at a time cracking the fuel lines to them open and let the air out.

I pray thats all it is thanks again,We have Gorgeous weather on tap for the next couple of days so you can best beleive i will be tackleing it.I will keep you updated.:]So all i have to do is get it to sit and idle on its own and then go around and crack each injector open while its running.(correct) :]

acmunro

The main feed line to the IP is under the intake manifold. It comes into the IP in the middle of the outgoing injector lines. I would remove the return check valve and clean it. This is also a quick easy way to see if the IP is full of fuel. The IP return check valve is on top of the pump (9/16" wrench fits it) the hose that sticks straight out will have to be removed and then the check valve. A little carb cleaner usually does the trick. The check valve has a little glass ball in it. You should be able to see through it when it is clean. If the IP cannot return fuel and builds up pressure it will advance the timing too far and the engine will not run.
If the engine does start and run a little bit but then stalls again because the check is plugged up again you will most likely need a new IP. Good Luck

richingalveston

yes, it has to be running to bleed the lines from the IP pump to the injectors. when you crack them they should buble and spray some. If the engine dies, close the injector you have open or you can let more air in than you get out. If you do not have good fuel presure at the injector after it is open for a few seconds, then you may have an IP pump issue or a mechanical pump issue. IF you go through each injector and bleed each one and it does not fix the problem then you have a fuel presure issue which will either be the mechanical pump or the IP.

ryan77

I had a m1009 i bought last year do the same! I ended up having the ip pump rebuilt and it ran like a rapped ape after that!!

truck1

Sounds like air in the system.I swapped my OEM filter for a spin on Standyne setup and installed a petcock bleeder out of the base.Simple filter change and bleed out of air.The OEM filter bases have been known to leak. Easy upgrade.

Thanks yall we have come to the conclusion that the IP is toast,As we were able to loosin the 13 mm bolt on the side of the IP and fuel came out and it ran then we tightened the bolt back and it shut off.Now i suppose the (jolly green gaint will have to wait for a new ip pump) or im gonna just pull the diesel and go gas not sure yet i have a 1987 Tbi 454 with all the goodies that would go right in the middle of the frame rails :].Any one know what pump i need to replace the military IP pump on the m1008,Any ips better than the others or should i ask for a new year(88-on) im curious i would like to start pricing an IP pump and see how expensive they are and make my decisions from their.Thanks for the Info everyone :]

BTW. What does a DB28294746 pump fit any ideas?

Last edited:
The main feed line to the IP is under the intake manifold. It comes into the IP in the middle of the outgoing injector lines. I would remove the return check valve and clean it. This is also a quick easy way to see if the IP is full of fuel. The IP return check valve is on top of the pump (9/16" wrench fits it) the hose that sticks straight out will have to be removed and then the check valve. A little carb cleaner usually does the trick. The check valve has a little glass ball in it. You should be able to see through it when it is clean. If the IP cannot return fuel and builds up pressure it will advance the timing too far and the engine will not run.
If the engine does start and run a little bit but then stalls again because the check is plugged up again you will most likely need a new IP. Good Luck
I see the little hose in front of the air cleaner.However all i see is the cover that the hose goes on and i see its held on by 3 Regular screws that look like bolts with a slot,Im missing something i dont see the 9/16 bolt your speaking of.All i see is a bolt that holds the return steel lines in place a picture or more info i would be greatful thanks.

acmunro

It is the piece on the pump that the hose connects to. Pull the hose off at the pump. That is the return line check valve. It should unscrew with a 9/16" wrench or socket. It has a spring loaded check ball. The ball is clear.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks