• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 CUCV Passenger side alternator issues

goldneagle

I bought a M1008 truck from GSA. It was a former fire company truck. Had signs of blown battery on passenger side. Juanprado helped me with the passenger side alternator. After messing around with it for a while he noticed someone had reversed the 2 large red cables on the alternator. (that probably explains why the battery blew up) The alternator was toast. Fuseable link was damaged at the 24volt bus bar. I repaired the wiring and installed a new isolated ground alternator on the passenger side. I also replaced the alternator on the driver side since it was not charging the battery either.

Now the alternator on the driver side charges the front battery. The passenger side alternator was not charging. After testing I determined that there was no negative current going through the red with white stripe wire. I used the wiring diagram to locate the other end of the wire. At the 12 volt terminal the fuseable link had melted inside the blue insulation. I replaced the fuseable link and tried again. Still not charging the back battery. I tested the red and white strip wire and got ground. So I know the two main cables are hooked up and passing current as they should.

Now I am thinking maybe its the red and black wires that go into the plastic connector. I know the red 1 goes tot the 24volt bus bar. Not sure where the other wire goes. What is the function of those 2 thin wires and where does the 2nd one go?

Barrman

I tried to follow along, but got lost with the different red wires. Could you take a picture of what you have in the truck now?

goldneagle

It's all the original wires. No modifications. I need to know where the 2 thin wires (exciter wires) go to from the passenger side alternator.......

richingalveston

I believe they go to the diagnostic port.
I know the drivers side goes there for the tach buffer. not sure on the passenger side. I thought it only existed on drivers side.

cpf240

No diag wire ( tach output ) on GEN 2, passenger alt. The exciter wires should go to the GEN 2 relay under the dash, and the GEN 2 light in the instrument cluster... I believe...

goldneagle

OK i replaced the relays today and still no charging on Gen 2. Neither the gen 1 or gen 2 lights come on at all. From what I see in the wiring diagram there is supposed to be a diode in the circuit. I do not know what it looks like or where it is located. Can any help me work through this charging problem?

LastFbody

You probably already know this one, but I'll mention it anyway. The alternator (at least true of gen 2) will do absolutely nothing if the dummy lights aren't working. Found that one out the hard way complete with the visit of a tow truck..

Last edited:

dependable

Check the CUCV stickys, I believe Warthog has posted some good diagrams of all the relays and diodes. I know there is a diode in the wire harness located near the back of the air cleaner.

Also, here is a alternator service manual that has not been posted here for a while. The stock alternator in these is the 27 SI

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks