• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Diesel Gas Cap - Want Locking Gas Cap

I just came from the Oreilly's auto store... trying to get a locking gas cap for the fuel tank. It seems they don't carry any for such a large throated tank. My cap measures 2.5 (+-5%) inches in diameter at the threads. We looked in a big book with pictures and measurements, and not a single one they showed was larger than 1.75 inch.

Where are you going for a locking gas cap?

thanks!
K

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're able to locate one let me/everyone know. I've been looking all over for one without sucess. They are all either the small diameter for civilian GM's or the large ones with fine threads for tractors and heavy duty trucks

hobie237

Re: RE: M1008 Diesel Gas Cap - Want Locking Gas Cap

maddawg308 said:
Maybe it might be easier to modify a way to lock the gas filler door???
I'd concur with this. A couple screws to mount a couple of eyes and a padlock would do the trick. Plus, it'd look way more hardcore.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Civi is not the same, already tried that route. I have the contact maintenance truck so it doesn't have the door. 've thought about some sort of slotted strap or bracket that will capture the cap and has a hinge on the top and eyes for a padlock on the bottom. When I get around to making one I'll post a photo.

CCATLETT1984

The fuel filler that the cucv's use is a GM part, its not common at all though. LMC truck even had the filler iirc, but I'm not sure its common enough to find a locking filler cap at a parts store. Give LMC a try, i'll do some looking around as well.

Elwenil

Re: RE: M1008 Diesel Gas Cap - Want Locking Gas Cap

maddawg308 said:
Maybe it might be easier to modify a way to lock the gas filler door???
Give me a bit and I'll post pics of the mods I did to my fuel filler door on my Ramcharger. A locking cap is useless since all it takes is a big screwdriver to pop one. I think popping the door would create a bit more noise and hassle than the cap. I'll go take a few pics of my setup now.

CCATLETT1984

RE: Re: RE: M1008 Diesel Gas Cap - Want Locking Gas Cap

Of course witha sharp knife you can just cut the rubber portion in the wheelwell and syphon from there, its just to keep honest people honest.

ssgtwright-usmc

Why not go to the junk yard or order online a fuel door/filler neck then buy alocking cap.
The M1008 is a Chevy K30 so you could change out the filler neck opening to match a locking cap!!!!!

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Of course witha sharp knife you can just cut the rubber portion in the wheelwell and syphon from there, its just to keep honest people honest.

Thought of that too, I have a piece of flexible steel tubing on the shelf for that......again, when i get around to it.
After this post I think I'll move this project up near the top of the list.

Elwenil

Here is the mods to my Ramcharger's fuel door. It's a simple key lock off of a paddle latch I had laying around. You can get similar locks from McMaster.com for next to nothing. Since they don't use the few keys that gas caps do, which all lock pick kits have a master pick for gas caps also, you have a much more secure fuel inlet than with a locking cap. Besides, most locking caps are the same old plastic Stant design which you can pop the whole black "medicine bottle" cap off of and then just unscrew the white plastic plug. Anyway here is my fuel door that took about 5 minutes to do:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks