• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Durability test half over!

cbturf

I picked up the new oh8 on Thursday morning in Las Vegas, NV. The guys at Safe Autocare picked it up from Nellis and got her ready for a drive back to TN. I also had them add a tranny cooler since I was picking up my gooseneck trailer in Alamogordo. NM. Needles to say I am quite pleased with my new hot rod. And I do mean HOT. I spent all day Thursday and Friday screeching across southern Arizona at 55mph! The truck is handling it very nicely, no problems at all, the driver is about to die!

The truck did have a few pleasant surprises when it was recovered. It already has a 24v solargizer so the batts are good as new. The GP relay has been replaced and seems to be working fine, although it is well over 100 degrees for most of the trip. Tested out 4wd and it works as it should.

One rather bad surprise is how small the second half of the fuel tank is. I left Hoover dam with the fuel gauge showing 3/4 and made the 70 mile run to kinsman and I was just about dead empty! Pulled into the first fuel stop and was very thankful to pay $4.09/ gallon! I got robbed because it was $.30 less about 1/4 mile up the road. I now see that on my truck full is about half a turn past the F on the gauge and the gauge is just guessing at how much fuel is left. I also stopped at the first Walmart and picked up a couple fo yellow 5 gallon cans to make myself feel better.

I am holding it between 50-55 mph and I am pulling down 18.75mpg. I am adding a quart of two cycle oil to each fill up. Typing on iPhone is pretty tedious so I will check back when I roll in to TN. This baby will have ac as soon as I get home!!!!!!!

BobM

This is a cool trip. Even if it is hot! How much fuel did you put in when you got to Kingman? Sometimes those gauges show empty even when there is plenty of fuel left.
Oh and: nopics

Have a safe trip!

rednckii

most of the m1008s ive dealt with do the fuel gauge lie but ur smart already got a back up plan. Have a safe trip and dont roast yourself in the heat.

cbturf

When I got into Kingman it took about 19.75 gallons. That was full all the way to the cap though so I was not on fumes but I was low. I have also started making a note of the mileage on the truck when I fill her up so I know my range.

I am stuck here in Alamogordo since the guy who was "storing" my gooseneck trailer took till four PM to tell me where it was and when I found it it was running on 7 tires. I have to pull the outside right front tire and get a new one today.

I will do some pictures today. Since i was working out here in NM for the past three years it is not really a vacation and I already have tons of pics but today will change since I am stuck till tomorrow. I am going up to Ruidoso to do some trail riding, I have done a lot of those old forest roads in my equipment but never in a truck. As a side note there were elk cows grazing 20 yards off of the road in the middle of the day yesterday I have been watching a GIANT bull for two years waiting to see if I get drawn and no luck yet so I am gonna go check on him too. He hangs out on private land but crosses an area of the forest to get his water and wallow. I have the gate code and permission to cross the private land since I did some work for the land owner. If I ever get a tag I get a big bull!!!

superburban

That's a long drive with no A/C! Keep hydrated. What did you end up paying for your 1008, if you dont mind my being nosey? (if you do mind me poking in on your business, you can tell me to piss off.)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did it come from GL? Goosneck ball was already there? The Oh-8 is the little truck that can!

idM1028

Good luck and hydrate or die. I just finished a 1,000 mile or so trip in my M1028A1. Probably got around 18MPG, maybe a little less, but I did haul all my stuff in the bed (moving) And I do mean full, even with the troop seats zip-tied up. Took me about 2 days and the only hiccup I had (not counting the trucker arm) was my brakes acting funny (low fluid). A short trip to Walmart, $15 for a gallon of DOT3 and only a small bit of fluid later, problem solved! :D

BobM

When I got into Kingman it took about 19.75 gallons. That was full all the way to the cap though so I was not on fumes but I was low. I have also started making a note of the mileage on the truck when I fill her up so I know my range.

I am stuck here in Alamogordo since the guy who was "storing" my gooseneck trailer took till four PM to tell me where it was and when I found it it was running on 7 tires. I have to pull the outside right front tire and get a new one today.

I will do some pictures today. Since i was working out here in NM for the past three years it is not really a vacation and I already have tons of pics but today will change since I am stuck till tomorrow. I am going up to Ruidoso to do some trail riding, I have done a lot of those old forest roads in my equipment but never in a truck. As a side note there were elk cows grazing 20 yards off of the road in the middle of the day yesterday I have been watching a GIANT bull for two years waiting to see if I get drawn and no luck yet so I am gonna go check on him too. He hangs out on private land but crosses an area of the forest to get his water and wallow. I have the gate code and permission to cross the private land since I did some work for the land owner. If I ever get a tag I get a big bull!!!

WOW! Sounds like you were getting really low on fuel. And north of Kingman, there are few stations before Las Vegas,as I remember. We are headed back out there in Sept. to drive over the new bridge over the Hoover Dam.
I am always amazed at people flying past the Elk out there and apparently never seeing them. ( I mean HOW can you miss seeing a full-grown Elk?) But some people don't even look for them outside of the Parks!
Good luck on the rest of your trip. Even with no AC, I am jealous. I love that part of the country.
And of course remembernopics

Mohawk Dave

Good Trip! For the OP and all others that travel, I suggest downloading GASBUDDY APP on your smartphone. It shows all the gas prices near you, cheapest to most expensive etc...That's what we use when we travel.

Happy Trails,

Dave

TCUCV

Glad to hear an 08 that is being put to use . . . I've made many a trips in mine and it's done awesome. That no A/C is a killer, good luck on your trip and I hope your travels are safe:beer:

steved454

I am in Central MS around Jackson. Not sure what your route is but If you have any problems PM me and I will help out all I can. At 100 Degrees I will be in the dodge with air!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just finished an 850 mile one way with my M1028A2 pulling my M1009.

I consumed 2 liters of water every 100 miles. 1 liter IN ME an 1 liter ON ME. That worked fairly well and given the amount of evaporation, IT DID COOL THE CAB. I spilled it ALL OVER ME, the seat, the floor etc. trying to keep cool in 105 degree heat...

We got to San Angelo, where my two truck sit on my BIL's ranch while we look for a house in Dallas...

HYDRATE OR DIE

cbturf

OK for you picture guys this is the best I can do. As you can see from the first photo I have stopped driving during the day. It seems the truck can hack it but I can't. I am fine except for my poor little feet!!! the heat coming off of the floorboard is insane? Do you guys have that problem?

The next pictures are why you slow down in elk country. The guy was headed across the Mescalero Indian Reservation in NM after dark going "about 65" where the speed limit is 50. He did not even know if it was a cow or a bull...just a big dark mass in front of him and bang. I found him trying to pick up his truck the next morning and we ran down to where he hit it but could not find the animal. If you look at the closeup one even though it is a little blurry you can see the lighter fur mixed in with the dark so he got it right on the rump. I think is was a cow because a bull is a good bit taller and usually you clip the legs on them and they go over the roof and this one went around the side. The whole passenger side was also banged up and windows broken.

Should I be embarrassed that I do not have to clean the windshield? These trucks are so slow that the bugs are able to get out of the way! After driving as far as I did today in that insane heat I think I got a good truck! Still a few things to do to her to make it the planned DD. Can anyone say AC by next Friday!!! It is almost 10:00 here in OK so I am headed east and should be home in Brentwood, TN by mid morning.

Attachments

idM1028

I think the heat on the floor boards is from the heater vent(s). I noticed once that I either opened or closed one of the vents and the air seemed to be cooler. Think I opened it. And the trucks are fast enough to cream bugs. Trust me. Thank God there's no U.N. courts for insect rights. My windshield after my "little drive" would have been enough evidence to have me summarily shot.

cbturf

OK Fellas it is official road trip OVER!! I have to go to football practice but will post the final update later tonight or in the morning. I have been driving since 10:00 last night I think I will sleep in the bed next to mama rather than hang with the boys tonight.