• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 electrical question

Hoolio

I've got a question related to the electrical system on my M1008 truck..I was hooking up the plow lights to the truck today..With a test light grounded to the core support, It showed no current at the turn/park lights ..But the lights are operational..I then grounded the test light directly to the front battery neg. terminal and test light lit up..Am I losing my edge due to age or is there something I missed here ?? [ first mil. truck]..Thanks {Roy} Hoolio

ssgtwright-usmc

You are saying (plow lights). I am now stupid so forgive me for my accident. What I just read you grounded twice which shows a short if I still remember. Neg to engine/frame. Your front battery to a neg and it shows power tells me that you have a short somewhere.
Two negs in math makes a pos, not on engines.

Hoolio

M1008 electrical problem

I'm sure I had a good ground at the core support with my test light..I even put one of the park/turn light screws back into the threaded hole ..Did not light ...Then moved the ground to the neg on the front battery, it worked...My question is now....I put a hydraulic pump/motor/reservoir in the bed behind the cab , ran the wiring to an underhood fender mounted solenoid [grounded to the fenderwell] then to the front battery..I also ran a ground cable back to the pump/motor from the neg on the front battery..This all seems very straight forward but that light grounding thing has me a little aprehensive about how I'm going about things..I sent for the 3 disc cd set of manuals to see exactly how it's wired...If it gets to the point of hairpulling, the old chevy will get converted to 12 volts....And all that junk under the hood will go away..

Scarecrow1

Did you have the park lights on after you made the connection the circuit is only active when activated right ??? Not being a smart but but I've connected to the wrong thing before and had the same problem

Crash_AF

Hmm, not sure then. The light system on these CUCVs is extremely ground sensitive... a break in any one of the grounds in the front harness will cause all kinds of headlight/marker light problems but you should have been able to get a test light to light by connecting to the core support if you had a solid connection. If it wasn't 14* here right now, I'd go out and check my 1009 to see what it does with a test light.

The manuals are available for free download on this site, they are under the Resources tab at the top of the page. You are looking for TM 9-2320-289-##. The wiring diagrams are at the back of the -20 and -34 TMs (they are the same diagrams in each, doesn't matter which you use).

Later,
Joe

woodyNla

I found all basic TMs listed in the very first section of the FAQ sticky at the very top of this forum. Made it much easier to have them listed without all the searching through the whole list of TMs. Now if I can just find the TMs for the 1031 body!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks