• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Exhaust

dave f

Anyone know the cheapest place to buy exhaust pipes for m1008? I got prices and it came to almost $300 in parts. Also wondering if anyone has switched from dual exhaust to single exhaust.

Thanks!

sht2kll

I have been looking also. I had a quote the other day. 2-1/2" exhaust with magna flow mufflers was going to cost me $750. I would not mind paying that if I were employed, but that does not look like it will happen for a LONG time though. :cry:

jimmy-90

Im pretty sure that building a single exhaust on one of these trucks would involve crossing one pipe under the trans pan makeing a fluid and filter change extremely difficult. If it wasn't for that part then running two regular size pipes into one great big pipe would work great seeing as how there is very limited room to run any piping on the passenger side where all the brackets n stuff are for the e-brake. Also if you are trying to make it loud then I think the red bullet type mufflers are probly the least expensive.

OLDCHEV4X4

$300 for all the dual exhaust parts dose not sound too bad.
Laying under your truck and cutting off the old rusty system, getting rust in your eyes, (even with saftey glasses), going to the eye doctor to get it removed, replacing rusted exhaust manifold bolts......THAT does not sound good.
That is one job that i will pay for. I hate doing exhaust work.

Hey guys i got the left and right premade tailpipes made by walker and 2 mufflers the tailpipes were about $60 for both and i paid $27 apeice for 2 mufflers which arent needed but i value my hearing lol i think i paid with tax and shipping $150 off advance autoparts web page i looked it up 84 chevy k30 6.2 diesel gave pics and all im gonna make the rest of the pipes as needed good luck i hope i helped yall out ;)

5.0fox

My tailpipes and mufflers were not to awful bad so I reused them. I pulled the old front pipes off and took them to an exhaust shop here in town. He said he didn't have the cards for the bender but he would match the old ones as close as he could. I had to cut the ends to length once back on the truck but other than that they were almost perfect.

He uses a heavy grade pipe that seems much better than any of the crap from autozone/advance etc. And the best part is he only charged me $50 for the pipe and bending them. :grin:

m1008 exhuast

My tailpipes and mufflers were not to awful bad so I reused them. I pulled the old front pipes off and took them to an exhaust shop here in town. He said he didn't have the cards for the bender but he would match the old ones as close as he could. I had to cut the ends to length once back on the truck but other than that they were almost perfect.

He uses a heavy grade pipe that seems much better than any of the crap from autozone/advance etc. And the best part is he only charged me $50 for the pipe and bending them. :grin:
i am going to keep looking around. trying not to spend too much. good things come to those who wait!

I will agree half and half not everything is all that great from advance or autozone but somethings are defintely better and cheaper than havin a specialty shop do it if u want or can do yourself like the exhuast tail pipes i have spent lot of money in other places on the M1008 Doin the premade was cheaper for meit only cost me $60 for the left and right sidealready bent im not sure i could have gottin a specialty shop to bend them for that cheap all in all its thiers options u just have to do what u want cuase in the end thats all that matters :wink: im lucky my father has an commercial grade exhaust pipe machine so we do all our own exhuast i could have done the tail pipes it was just easier on him and me to cut some of the bending out

And i agree totally with ya Dave good things do come to those who wait in many ways my friend so good luck hopefully the ideas helped ya [thumbzup]BTW im going with dual exhuast being that its a diesel no emissions i can get away with it and plus it looks better comin out behind the rear wheels i so cant wait im ready for the ole Girl but like u say good things come to those who wait lol

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
To bring up a old post that maybe helpful.
The 6.2 and small block gas engines have the same exhaust manifold to pipe locations.
Meaning that the gas exhaust will bolt on to the diesel engine. (pipe not manifolds)

dual manifold kits can be found for $120.00 ish less mufflers.
LMC, Summit racing, ect.
Be sure to get the correct pipe exit location there is 90* out the side and straight out the back.

Al Harvey

I got everything for the 1009 (except the manifolds) from Rockauto shipped to the house for just under $400. That was clamps, gaskets, mufflers, prebent pipe, etc.

ehuppert

I also used one of the cheap dual kits and must say, quality sucks and they don't fit properly. Right rear tailpipe didn't fit around brake valve and front pipes had to be bent (with our bender) around and cut, etc to make fit. thinner pipe which has also turned to crap quickly. Tailpipes are available at flaps (Walker, whatever)

thought i had the easy button with the kit, but would have been easier in the end to make them!

My 08 has a SBC, but exhaust is the same!

MarcusOReallyus

I got everything for the 1009 (except the manifolds) from Rockauto shipped to the house for just under $400. That was clamps, gaskets, mufflers, prebent pipe, etc.
Did it work?

I ordered from Rockauto and it most certainly did NOT work. I got pieces that didn't fit the truck, and didn't even fit each other! They insisted that it was a 2 1/2" from the manifold to the muffler, then 2 1/4" from there. Not. Then they gave me grief on the return and I had to pay shipping. Never again!

I have been too busy with other things for a while, but in the next couple of weeks mine is going in to a local shop for a complete replacement, for the same money I paid for the junk from Rockauto.

Hmmm. Parts & labor from a local shop with a good reputation, vs. parts from RA that didn't fit? Easy!

cucvrus

I go to a local exhaust shop and an entire custom made to fit exhaust for the M1009 cost about $550. That is the entire job front to back both sides labor and all. No laying under it and tormenting myself. Them days are over. I just had 1 side the right on my mule redone and it was $225. I went home and looked and had an entire left side I removed back in the 90's. That will need replaced as soon as I hear a leak. I hate the sound of leaking loud exhaust. If you know what I mean. Good luck have fun. Do as you wish but do the job right the first time.

Al Harvey

Did it work?

I ordered from Rockauto and it most certainly did NOT work. I got pieces that didn't fit the truck, and didn't even fit each other! They insisted that it was a 2 1/2" from the manifold to the muffler, then 2 1/4" from there. Not. Then they gave me grief on the return and I had to pay shipping. Never again!
The parts I ordered worked just fine. Only thing I did different was weld the the factory hangers onto the pipe instead of using the bolt on style hangers. I used the Walker layout diagram (list of parts for the vehicle) and then ordered those part numbers. Not sure if that made a difference, since I did not just go by what Rock Auto listed. The passenger side when on real easy, the driver side took a little time to get the intermediate pipe turned the right direction. Hate to hear that you had issues with it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks