• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1008 front axle wont engage?

dieselsmokem35a2

I recently bought an m1008 and when I went to put it in 4x4 I get nothing. The lock on the driver side hub turns but has no stopping point, can turn it all day long. The one on the other side locks in the "lock" position but when I put it in 4 high or 4 low neither front wheel will turn. I verified that the front drive shaft going to the axle turns but thats it. What do I need to look for? Do I need to replace the lockouts? if so where do I get them? Could my front axle be snapped? I can change the axle seals on my deuce blindfolded but never messed with one of these axles with lockouts. Any thoughts? Thanks guys!

Westech

CPL
with one non locking hub you will NOT have front wheel drive power... its a open diff and all the power will go to the unlocked side of the axle. Like stated above.. hub time. There a snap to install should only take 10 min a side.

dieselsmokem35a2

with one non locking hub you will NOT have front wheel drive power... its a open diff and all the power will go to the unlocked side of the axle. Like stated above.. hub time. There a snap to install should only take 10 min a side.
Looked on line and found some nice hubs but need to know if they are 30 or 35 spline.....anyone know which is on an m1008? Thanks guys, I appreciate the help!

hogtruck

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might want to take a look at it before you drop $$. Had the same problem, but turned out was assembled incorrectly by previous PU. Fairly easy to remove.

rlwm211

There are six or eight screws that hold the center operator on the hub. If you remove the outside part you can see if the rotating part of the hub is working as it should pushing in, and then coming back out. All a hub selector does is push a sliding gear into engagement with the spine. This is not Rocket science.

As mentioned above, take it apart you cannot hurt anything at this point.. I now Advance Auto Parts carrying hubs and they are quite reasonable.

Just my two cents

RL

SmokeyDod

Before I bought anything, I would take off the hub that turns freely without stopping. Look at it and determine what's wrong with it. If you are new to it, and it's not obvious what is wrong, then I would take off the other side being very careful to lay all the parts out in the order you removed them so you can be sure how they go back together. It could be something very simple to fix or replace.

rlwm211

Unless I am mistaken, the outer portion is a simple cam type of operator and is a complete unit. The inner portion is held in place with a couple of snap rings and will not come out unless you remove them. The only things you can lose are the screws themselves that hold the actuator on. I agree take the offending side off, and then, if a problem is not obvious, take the other side off for comparison purposes. It is not complex and will make sense once you look at them.

Just my two cents

RL

dieselsmokem35a2

Thanks! Took them off last night and found that the one wasnt working as you described. Gonna try auto parts store. Thanks again!

There are six or eight screws that hold the center operator on the hub. If you remove the outside part you can see if the rotating part of the hub is working as it should pushing in, and then coming back out. All a hub selector does is push a sliding gear into engagement with the spine. This is not Rocket science.

As mentioned above, take it apart you cannot hurt anything at this point.. I now Advance Auto Parts carrying hubs and they are quite reasonable.

Just my two cents

RL

beaubeau

Good morning everyone! I have a Question on the Parts # or any info obout getting the right Universal Joint for front Axel on a M1008. "Thats the U joint at the Wheel hub". Been to several Parts places and Ordering for a 3500 Chevy with 6.2 Diesel just doesnt work. Any info would be great. Beaubeau

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks