• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Front End "Death Wobble"

AJMBLAZER

OOHHH! here we go!:roll:
What's that supposed to mean?:|

Again the steering stabilizer shock shouldn't do anything but assist in steering effort and absorb road impacts transmitted to the steering column. I'd advise you to replace/inspect/tighten/whatever everything else and THEN replace that shock. Replacing it without finding the proper problem could simply mask the fact that the problem still remains.

85-m1028

What's that supposed to mean?:|

Again the steering stabilizer shock shouldn't do anything but assist in steering effort and absorb road impacts transmitted to the steering column. I'd advise you to replace/inspect/tighten/whatever everything else and THEN replace that shock. Replacing it without finding the proper problem could simply mask the fact that the problem still remains.
that has nothing to do with my original post, I'd love to correct you but we are being monitored now and I would rather not be banned for something silly. that's all I can say about that..

n1bnc

could have a belt seperated on the front tire wobbles more in turns first then later wobbles all the time by then it shows on the tire

I have had this problem a couple of times. The easiest way to detect this is to jack up the axle and spin the tires and watch the tread for any odd wiggles. Sometimes they can also be felt by hand, gently slide the hand along the tread and feel for bumps or divots.

85-m1028

Uhmmm...sure....?:|
may get banned for arguing but whatever!! Do you really think a 20 year old 3 leaf pack is going to be able to hold a dana 60 where it needs?? if you can look at the pack from the side and see daylight through the layers of the spring pack "it prob needs to be replaced"
Not to mention the old rubber bushings that hold everything in place.

I know the spring packs are inverted when new, the question is how much more inverted should they be before you even start considering them worn?

Obviously if you have death wobble it's because the leaf pack isn't able to maintain enough castor to keep the wheels centered. Think riding a beach bike with no hands vs. a mountain bike.

I can't understand why this so often overlooked. ;-)

AJMBLAZER

Well...I hear your statement...just never heard anyone who's had to replace springs to fix the problem. I can see where it could be a contributor or what not but never it being the culprit.

I dunno, my springs are in fine shape.:-D

Also, some of the worst death wobble I've ever seen was on coil sprung trucks and it was always the tires moving, not the whole truck.

K10A

Ok Kids. I used to work for Offroad Design here in CO. The owner who is a mechanical engineer and I discussed this topic to death many times with customers. REPLACE YOUR KINGPIN SPINGS AND TEFLON BUSHINGS. That is not to say there are not other contributing factors but this is FIRST thing that should be done. Leave the steering stabilizer off all it is is a band-aid that masks the problem. The leaf springs themselves typically are not the problem either, BUT do check your castor , should be 6 degrees iirc.

http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/D60kingpinspring-bushing.htm

Last edited:

85-m1028

Well...I hear your statement...just never heard anyone who's had to replace springs to fix the problem. I can see where it could be a contributor or what not but never it being the culprit.

I dunno, my springs are in fine shape.:-D

Also, some of the worst death wobble I've ever seen was on coil sprung trucks and it was always the tires moving, not the whole truck.

I fixed the death wobble on my jeep tj by adding adjustable lower control arms and adding some castor..

85-m1028

Ok Kids. I used to work for Offroad Design here in CO. The owner who is a mechanical engineer and I discussed this topic to death many times with customers. REPLACE YOUR KINGPIN SPINGS AND TEFLON BUSHINGS. That is not to say there are not other contributing factors but this is FIRST thing that should be done. Leave the steering stabilizer off all it is is a band-aid that masks the problem. The leaf springs themselves typically are not the problem either, BUT do check your castor , should be 6 degrees iirc.

http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/D60kingpinspring-bushing.htm
oyy! don't get me started there. the $1400 ford dana 60 he sent me was completely trashed from the knuckles out. I figured I would replace the bushings and springs but the lower caps had rust holes "allowing water in" and wasting the lower taper bearings, most of the cap bolts sheared off and now I'm trying save the knuckles by drilling them out. The spindle bolts are so rusted I wouldn't trust em on a golf cart. the dust sheilds were so gone you could hardly tell what they were. The drivers hub was shot and would not engage because it was missing parts!!

The upper bushings and springs were shot as I was expecting, but crikey I was told these were well maintained truck they came off!! Boy do I feel like a sucker!!

But yes the upper bushings and springs should be replaced and thats a cheap fix in my book!!

FDNY129

Check your caster angle. My 1977 CJ7 had the death wobble. Everytime I got over 35 mph, I was white knuckle scared! Corrected the caster and it has been perfect since....

KELLER

Help! my 1008 has a narly death wobble when I am braking and going down hill. New tires and new steering stabilizer tie rod ends seem tight too any info would be greatly appreciated Keller

army98

I had same problem around 40 mph changed tires, wheel berrings .... havent changed stabilizer yet but sometimes my break caliper/s somewhat stick and cause it and scares the pants off me when I don't expect it. I just lube up the slides and it seems to help

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks