• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Fuel tank 'drain' tube? What about a fuel tank air pressure bleeder?

Carl1008

There are three tubes on the M1008 fuel sender: Fuel out to the engine (duh), fuel return (semi-duh), and the mysterious 'drain' (huh).

What's the drain for? How does it work? It's just a short tube that goes a few inches and then terminates with a 'CAP' as per the TM -20P. (Section II, Figure 17, Part 30)

But, when I removed the sender, I noticed the 'drain' tube doesn't go to the bottom of the tank. So what's it drain? Are you supposed to remove the drain cap and put a couple psi on the tank to force the diesel out of the out or return line?

I recently replaced my rubber hoses and now fuel is dripping from my 'drain' cap... it's hot out today and when I noticed the big puddle of fuel I opened my filler cap and I hear a lot of air rush out (I assume it wasn't rushing in at least). If you have your filler cap off on a cold day and later it gets warm out, thus now you have some air pressure in your tank, how does air pressure normally be bled from the tank?

Thanks!

-Carl

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is actually an auxiliary tap for a fuel fired heater to draw fuel from the tank. I have also used them as a means to transfer fuel into the tank as well as a secondary pickup when the sock got spooged up.

cucvrus

That auxiliary fuel pickup line will stop catching/picking up fuel at about a 1/4 tank. It is not planted on the bottom of the fuel tank like the socked main fuel pickup line. May not matter to you but I wanted to mention that for others that may give a hoot. Have a great day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks