• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1008 fuel tank help

Drock

Same goes. No. And the tank is the same tank just switched around. Same brackets also. The plumbing is fairly easy. I had one and Y ed the suction side. It pulled almost equal and I only used the stock left sending unit. It was NOT dead on but accurate enough. I have a few that the fuel gauge is accurate and others not so good. the only way I ever fixed the issue was changed the head unit gauge and the sending unit with new. A few it was just one or the other. But both were fairly inexpensive and it solved the issue rather inexpensively at the time. Good Luck. You could even fill the right tank thru the rear wheel opening so no hacking thru the bedside and trying to fill it in again.
I'd like to plumb it like factory. Isn't that just a solenoid valve & the switch on the dash? Or is it a different fuel gauge & lines thing?

On mine, I had to use a shorter tank on the passenger side. I couldn't get the mounts to both line up with the frame holes. I went with a pair of solenoid valves, one for supply, one for return. If you use a double throw switch, it can change tanks and gauges together. I tried a fancy, motorized selector valve. Expensive, complicated, and dainty inside. Mine failed in hours.

cucvrus

I'd like to plumb it like factory. Isn't that just a solenoid valve & the switch on the dash? Or is it a different fuel gauge & lines thing?
Yes. 2 sending units and a flipper valve. A complicated mess of wiring. It's not factory no matter how hard you try. It is an add on. If it is for ease and extra travel range do it the easy way or get another truck that has the set up and change everything. I notice they don't do the dual tanks thing anymore. it was not worth the trouble.

Drock

Yes. 2 sending units and a flipper valve. A complicated mess of wiring. It's not factory no matter how hard you try. It is an add on. If it is for ease and extra travel range do it the easy way or get another truck that has the set up and change everything. I notice they don't do the dual tanks thing anymore. it was not worth the trouble.
Yeah this is for furthering my range. Finding diesel in ATL can be difficult & sketchy:shock:. I already have a compete takeout diesel passenger side fuel tank including sender, fuel cap, and straps. I guess the tricky part is the wiring to the gauge, correct?

cucvrus

And add to that the hole in the side of the bedside. I did the easy way because it did exactly what you want it to do. I read my gauge and both were within a gallon or 2 of being equal in volume. I opted the easy way for long upstate PA trips. I do have a dash flipper switch I bought new and never used it. I never bought the plug. At that point I was happy with the Y fitting and no major modifications was the big +. Remove the tank when I needed it on another project. Nothing to put back to OEM. Have a Great Day.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did one as a transfer tank. Had a dash switch to transfer fuel on the move and a second pump to transfer fuel from the truck to another vehicle.

Drock

I did one as a transfer tank. Had a dash switch to transfer fuel on the move and a second pump to transfer fuel from the truck to another vehicle.
I was just thinking that too. I would prefer a stock set up, but a transfer tank set up mite be kinda cool too. How did you plumb the tanks together? and also the pump to another vehicle thing?

If you use a double pole, double throw switch you can have power into the middle on one half, and the top or bottom terminal to the valves.
The other side of the switch, you run each tank gauge wire into the top and bottom terminals, which one where depends on what tank is your primary. The middle terminal goes to your gauge.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks