• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Gauges

Croatan_Kid

I like to see numbers when speaking of Oil Pressure and Water Temp, so I got some cheap, but decent, mechanical gauges from AutoZone. Oil PSI goes from 0-100, Water Temp reads 100-250. I mounted both of them just forward of the t-case lever, just below the ash tray. I REALLY wanted to mount them in the radio block off plate, but the way it's mounted made me decide otherwise. I really think it would have looked awesome though!

Oil Pressure- I should have probably ran a T under where the oil pressure dummy switch is, but instead I hook it onto what I assume to be an oil cooler line. It already had a hard line run up the side of the radiator, right next to the overflow tank, so I used it. Any problems with doing that? I really can't see where there would be, but I figured I would ask. Also, at idle I'm showing 50-55 PSI. I know those are great numbers, I'm just wondering if that's within the normal range.

Water Temp- Where do I hook the probe up at? I pulled the air cleaner off and looked around and I saw a switch of some sort on the rear of the driver's side cylinder head. I would assume this to be the dummy light for water temp or something to do with the glow plug controller, I'm not real sure. Any help on hooking up my water temp gauge would be great! I think I read somewhere that the 6.2 runs right at 190-200 and the alarm temp is something like 220, so there is a fine line between good and bad. Correct me if I'm wrong please :D

CCATLETT1984

for the oil, that place is fine.

for the water temp. if you look on the same place on the passenger head, you will see a blank plate. its kinda under the vacuum pump. GM still sells that threaded plate. just remove the blank and put the threaded one with the sending unit in its place. you will prolly have to pull the vacuum pump, or at least rotate it out of the way.

Croatan_Kid

Awesome, thanks! Is that a dealer only item, or could I run to Advance or AutoZone and get one? If it's dealer only, you wouldn't happen to have a part number handy would you? If I can get it from a parts store, what would I call it?

Croatan_Kid

I was going to mount a gauge in there next to the voltmeter, I just didn't have a hole saw that size so I didn't. Thanks for the pics and info :D

Croatan_Kid

HAHA! I AM smarter than the search feature on this website! Anyway, I found the PN for the threaded plate and gasket.

Plate PN- 14028949

Gasket PN- 10137488

After I found them I went to GM Parts Direct and looked them up. They only sell the gaskets in packs of 10, nevermind all that mess. GM Parts Cheap was a few cents more, but you can buy 1 gasket if that's all you want. I got two just in case and the total was like 24 bucks with shipping.

Hope this helps :D

ragedracer

Bump up for an old post...

I was at checker/kragen earlier tonight picking up a new air filter.. I got to looking at their gauges.. Decided to pick some up. Got a water temp and a oil pressure gauge. They were marked at ~$25 a piece for the full kits. These rang up as gauges only at ~$15. SCORE! I'm in there all the time, and the guy looks at me and says, "Oh well.." and he's the manager.. =)

Anyway.. I'm going to pop these in place of the 4WD dummy light and Oil Pressure dummy light. I plan to tie the Oil gauge in to the same hard line listed above, since I'll never use it. For the temp gauge, can I just pull the old sender out and put this one there??? I'm eliminating the dummy light anyway, so is it really necessary?

Thanks!!

rr

EO2NMCB

ragedracer, I would not pull the temp sensor out if you are still using the GP card, the card uses that to know when or when not to put power to the gp's. Thats why to get theses parts that croatan kid listed Plate PN- 14028949

Gasket PN- 10137488. To use on the pass side head block off plate.

EO2NMCB

I can't answer that, but the GP control card would have no ideal if the eng was hot or cold. Better to spend the 25.00 for parts and use the unused port on the back of the head on the pass side.

mangus580

They are 2 separate sensors. I think the CUCV has 3 total. One for the high-idle/cold advance circuit, one for the glow plugs, one for the dummy light.

The Dummy Light sensor is on the drivers side head toward the front. The wire is green... and really easy to mix up with a glow plug wire.

I had planned to leave all my dummy lights in tact... I have a box mounted center dash where the comm radio goes... with temp/oil pressure gauges. When I finally get around to hooking them up... the temp will go in the pass head, rear... opposite the GP sensor.

Hope this helps...

ragedracer

They are 2 separate sensors. I think the CUCV has 3 total. One for the high-idle/cold advance circuit, one for the glow plugs, one for the dummy light.

The Dummy Light sensor is on the drivers side head toward the front. The wire is green... and really easy to mix up with a glow plug wire.

I had planned to leave all my dummy lights in tact... I have a box mounted center dash where the comm radio goes... with temp/oil pressure gauges. When I finally get around to hooking them up... the temp will go in the pass head, rear... opposite the GP sensor.

Hope this helps...

Did some research last night, and I ended up using the port on the drivers side head at the front (dummy light connection). I cut out the section of the cluster where the 4WD/oil pressure dummy lights were and mounted the gauges in those holes. Looks very clean. I'll take some pics and post them up.

FWIW, the temp gauge reads ~190 at 65 on the freeway. The oil pressure reads ~45 at idle and ~60 under throttle. I've been a busy beaver. Changed the gear oil in both diffs, oil change. Transmission fluid/filter change, fuel filter, air filter. Refreshed the instrument panel, cleaned all the dirt and grime out, changed all the bulbs, polished the clear plastic cover.. Its been a heck of a day!

rr