• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1008 Gen 1 light comes on and want go off

Turbo Detroit

Hey guys just ran into a problem with the m1008...Smelled something getting warm and when cut truck off wouldnt start back.....I jumped doghead conversion relay and drove truck home with the Gen 1 Light burning....changed the two relays next to the 12v 24v relay after i did doghead conversion.....want crank off switch but will if you jump solenoid and gen light stays on if you rev the engine....was thinking a fuseable link burnt up but checked the four on terminal strip...i knw the heater fan quit working at the same time..isnt the exciter and heater fan motor and 12v power from switch on the same fuseable link? Any help would greatly appreciated:???:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your heater swithc or fan is bad. It is drawing too much current and is causing the GEN1 not to work. The heater fuse controls the GEN1 excitor circuit.

You have some testing to do.

Turbo Detroit

Well the m1028 is fixed and all is well.....redid the fuseable links with circuit breakers and replaced alot of the iffy wires....also the ignition module at the bottom of steering coloumn was bad....So Thanks for all who Commented!

OlBigMC

I think I am experiencing a similar problem with my '85 M1009. It is getting very cold here in NW Arkansas suddenly and the CD player I installed stopped turning and then the fan a day later. When I turn the fan to any setting the Gen 1 light comes on but the fan does not come on. Are there fuses I can get to replace bad ones or am I looking at replacing the heater motor? If so, How do you do that?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you downloaded the free technical manuals?

Where did you tap power for the CD player?

There is a good chance that your heater switch is not working properly

OlBigMC

I used a 24v to 12v converter tapped from the Driver side alternator or Battery 1 rather. Heater is not in the same step down. I do have the TMs if those are adequate for this type of thing. They can be a bit vague in other areas, imho. I probably should of looked first before asking.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your Cd player stopped working because you connected a 24v to 12v converter to a 12v source. Battery1 and the driver side alternators are 12v.

Please keep all of your related questions in one thread. Digging up multiple old threads and posting the same question multiple times is frowned upon.

Check your fuse (replace with quality fuses, no Harbor Freight), check the connectors for the fuse, check the heater switch and check the connector at the fan.

OlBigMC

My dad did the wiring of the converter so I'll check but I'm pretty sure the converter was necessary. My explanation is off if anything I imagine. Why would it just now be dying if it's been that way for months and functioning fine? and why at the same time as the heater?

I'll check the fuse, heater switch and connector at the fan thanks. I read to check the alternator and battery as well so I'll do that too.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks